‘Bogus window cleaner’ conman targets pensioners in Barking and Dagenham
A conman posing as a window cleaner has stolen from elderly residents after going to several houses to fraudulently collect the money they owed to a genuine worker.
The bogus window cleaner also invited himself inside the victims’ homes - and stole cash or jewelry in some cases, while they were distracted.
This week alone, the thief stole from two pensioners in the Goresbrook and Valence areas of Dagenham on Monday, while a third was targeted in the Gascoigne area of Barking yesterday (Wednesday, July 17). Two other residents in Barking and Dagenham have also been hit by scam.
Det Con Gemma Townsend, of Barking and Dagenham Police’s burglary unit, said: “I would like to remind everyone to be vigilant when they have a knock at the door.
“Please don’t be trusting of strangers calling at your home unexpectedly. If you care for or are related to an elderly or vulnerable person, please make sure they are aware of these incidents.”
You may also want to watch:
The suspect is described as a white man, aged 20 to 40, of medium build with short fair or blond hair.
Anyone with information should contact Det Con Townsend on 0203 276 1044 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0500 555 111.
- 1 Work to begin on river bus pier at Barking Riverside
- 2 Teenage pedestrian in hospital after Dagenham crash
- 3 Work begins on £1.8m arts centre transformation in Barking
- 4 Man, 19, stabbed in thigh in Dagenham
- 5 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 6 Man praises community spirit after flood water threatens homes in Dagenham
- 7 Murder investigation in Dagenham after man dies in street
- 8 Man charged with murder after fatal Dagenham assault
- 9 Former child refugee who founded Barking women's service up for award
- 10 Parkrun returns to east London: Where can you join in?