‘Bogus window cleaner’ conman targets pensioners in Barking and Dagenham
A conman posing as a window cleaner has stolen from elderly residents after going to several houses to fraudulently collect the money they owed to a genuine worker.
The bogus window cleaner also invited himself inside the victims’ homes - and stole cash or jewelry in some cases, while they were distracted.
This week alone, the thief stole from two pensioners in the Goresbrook and Valence areas of Dagenham on Monday, while a third was targeted in the Gascoigne area of Barking yesterday (Wednesday, July 17). Two other residents in Barking and Dagenham have also been hit by scam.
Det Con Gemma Townsend, of Barking and Dagenham Police’s burglary unit, said: “I would like to remind everyone to be vigilant when they have a knock at the door.
“Please don’t be trusting of strangers calling at your home unexpectedly. If you care for or are related to an elderly or vulnerable person, please make sure they are aware of these incidents.”
You may also want to watch:
The suspect is described as a white man, aged 20 to 40, of medium build with short fair or blond hair.
Anyone with information should contact Det Con Townsend on 0203 276 1044 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0500 555 111.
- 1 Teenage girl raped by Dagenham man who locked her in his car
- 2 Covid 'past the peak' at Queen's and King George hospitals
- 3 Jo Richardson pupils offered 'hug in a mug' in lockdown
- 4 Stephen Port: Victims' inquests delayed until autumn by Covid
- 5 Views sought on next stage of Gascoigne Estate's redevelopment
- 6 Unions provide stationery packs to Barking, Dagenham and Havering children
- 7 Tot with cancer enjoys 'brilliant' fun day outside home in Dagenham
- 8 Charity's 10 years of teaching safe travel to vulnerable young people
- 9 Tributes to 'much-loved' volunteer with a passion for Dagenham history
- 10 Is the Becontree estate in Barking and Dagenham really a Covid hotspot?