Boy, 12, handed restraining order after racist abuse charge
A 12-year-old boy has been given a restraining order after carrying out a campaign of racist abuse against a woman.
The youth, from Barking, is banned from being within 20 metres of the victim and her family and must not make any direct contact with them.
If he breaches this order the boy, who can not be named for legal reasons, could face up to five years in detention.
On January 29, the youngster was charged with racially harassing the woman on several occasions in November and December last year but denied the allegations.
A trial was due to take place on September 9. On that day, however, it was decided a restraining order would be the most suitable type of punishment, which can be enforced without a trial.
You may also want to watch:
Chief Inspector Richard Goodwin, of Barking and Dagenham Police, said: “I hope the restraining order will help towards putting this child back on track
“Police will robustly investigate every report of harassment, alarm or distress being caused to any member of the public whatever the suspect’s age and will continue to work with borough partners toward formulating effective interventions.”
- 1 16-year-old boy stabbed in Dagenham
- 2 Arrest after girl, 14, found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 3 Company fined £3k after supermarket in Dagenham sold booze to minor
- 4 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
- 5 Government 'never gave support' for Beam Park station, minister says
- 6 Primary pupils share Black History Month learning with mayor
- 7 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 8 Barking and Dagenham to develop planning app in new digital tools pilot
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 Urgent call for volunteer stewards at booster jab sites
Anyone suffering from hate crime should call 0300 123 1212 or, in an emergency, call 999.