Boy savagely beaten for �5 and mobile phone
THE family of a boy who was savagely beaten about the head for just �5 and his mobile phone have this week released pictures of his shocking injuries in a bid to catch the attackers.
Bobby Bedwell, 15, of Barking, was walking home with five friends near Leigh Drive, in Harold Hill, when he was set upon by a vicious hooded gang, brandishing baseball bats and a lump of wood.
The rest of the group managed to escape without serious injury, but GCSE student Bobby was knocked unconscious and robbed in the unprovoked attack, at around 10pm on Friday September 24.
Bobby was rushed to Queen’s Hospital, in Romford, with serious head injuries.
Doctors spent three days working to repair his broken jaw and cheekbone, a two-inch long gash to the back of his head, and his smashed teeth.
You may also want to watch:
He has lost the peripheral vision in his left eye, and fragments of his jawbone remain embedded in his gums.
Lorry driver dad, Robert Bedwell, 38, said: “It’s not just his face that’s been shattered, it’s his confidence. When he walks down the street I can see he gets agitated when he sees someone he doesn’t know.
- 1 Marvel movie blockbuster Black Widow filmed in Dagenham
- 2 Dagenham mum vows more acts of crochet kindness despite missing postbox toppers
- 3 New developments approved in Barking and Dagenham so far this year
- 4 Barking father's car stolen from driveway
- 5 Man in hospital after being found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 6 Watchdog upholds 90pc of complaints against council, figures show
- 7 Barking and Dagenham and Redbridge 'least active' boroughs in London, study finds
- 8 Dagenham pastry chef wins patisserie award
- 9 Dagenham man sentenced after flying kick at cop during Black Lives Matter demo
- 10 Letter: Climate change and the floods
“It surprised me the amount of violence that was used. I know the world is a tougher place these days, but it doesn’t make it any easier when it’s your boy who’s been attacked for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.”
He added: “We don’t know if he was attacked and robbed because he wasn’t from the area. But to think all they got away with is a mobile phone and �5 is disgusting.”
Bobby, who attends Barking Abbey School said: “I’m still scared and I don’t feel comfortable going out anymore. I just want them caught, because what they’ve done has affected my whole life.”
Two eye-witnesses have withdrawn their statements to police, and residents with information are urged to come forward.
“I want people to look at what they did to my boy and think about how they’d feel if it was their son or daughter and tell police who did this,” said Robert. “I don’t want anyone else to go through this.”
He added: “These are life-changing injuries Bob received. He still can’t talk or eat properly. He’s had to miss a lot of school.”
The family - including mum Lisa Bedwell, 39 and brothers Jordan, 12, and Harrison, 10 - have all been left shaken by the attack, Robert said.
It is thought there were five attackers, all boys aged between 16-18 years old.
DC Tara Wilson said: “This is a terrible assault that placed a young boy in hospital for a number of days. If anyone witnessed this attack or has any information please call Romford Police Station on: 0300 123 1212 or Crimestoppers anonymously on: 0800 555 111.”