Burglar posed as window cleaner to prey on elderly
A man who burgled six homes of elderly and vulnerable people all living within a single square mile in Dagenham has been jailed.
Scott Wynter posed as a window cleaner and once inside the properties either asked for a hot drink, claimed to be cleaning the inside of the windows or asked to use the toilet in order to ensure that he was left alone to search the property and steal belongings.
The burglaries took place between February 21 and April 2 in Dunbar Gardens, Rogers Road, Broad Street, Crosby Road, Cadiz Road, and Reede Road.
The unemployed 30-year-old, of no fixed address, was identified by forensic evidence left at the scenes as well as witnesses who recognised him during identity parades.
Wynter, who was arrested on April 15, claimed his fingerprints were there because he was window cleaning, but was charged with two burglary offences. He pleaded guilty to these and later admitted the remaining four offences so they could be taken into consideration. He was sentenced to four-and-a-half years jail at Snaresbrook Crown Court on July 19.
You may also want to watch:
Det Con Jamie Humm, of Barking and Dagenham police said after the case: “The effects of becoming a victim of this despicable crime run far deeper than a loss of cash or property.
“The feeling of insecurity left by burglary can drastically affect the quality of life for victims. I am very pleased he can no longer prey on our elderly.”`
- 1 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
- 2 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 3 Youngsters create film inspired by Dagenham's links to slave trade abolitionists
- 4 Three shops 'fail test purchases' after joining safe knife selling scheme
- 5 Ex-Strictly Come Dancing star gets pupils shimmying in Barking
- 6 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 7 Residents and traders react to proposed A13 tunnel in Dagenham
- 8 'Stunning mural celebrating Barking history is complete
- 9 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 10 Daggers boss McMahon 'very pleased' with Southend United victory