Cashpoint robber stole from wheelchair pensioner in Dagenham
A cashpoint robber who stole �190 from an 81-year-old wheelchair user as she drew money from a bank is to be sentenced tomorrow.
Jason Culverhouse, 41, robbed the vulnerable pensioner at Lloyds in Oxlow Lane, Dagenham, but two “hero” bystanders gave chase and saw him flee in a getaway vehicle.
Police used their statements to arrest the jobless man at his home in Rockwell Road, Dagenham, later that same day.
He is due to sentenced at Snaresbrook Crown Court on August 15.
Culverhouse was arrested on July 24. He pleaded guilty to theft at Barkingside Magistrates’ Court on July 25 and was remanded in custody.
Police have hailed the two men who assisted the wheelchair user as “local heroes”.
Barking and Dagenham Police Det Con, Phil Stokes, said: “Thanks to the brave actions of these public spirted men a robber will be taken off the streets of Barking and Dagenham.
- 1 70 firefighters tackle Dagenham house fire
- 2 Council leader on the borough's future, CPZs and receiving death threats
- 3 Baby boy died from 'whiplash' injuries caused by shaking, trial hears
- 4 Dagenham woman to face trial on numerous robbery charges
- 5 Travel Bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
- 6 Boy, 5, dies after 'unexplained' incident off Heathway
- 7 Fire at Barking recycling centre
- 8 Dagenham cat with misshapen eye struggles to find home
- 9 McMahon proud of excellent Dagenham & Redbridge win over Wrexham
- 10 Homes under the Planner: Applications submitted or approved recently
“While I would not recommend that anyone place themselves at risk, the actions of these men may have saved others from becoming victims of crime.”