Cashpoint robber stole from wheelchair pensioner in Dagenham
A cashpoint robber who stole �190 from an 81-year-old wheelchair user as she drew money from a bank is to be sentenced tomorrow.
Jason Culverhouse, 41, robbed the vulnerable pensioner at Lloyds in Oxlow Lane, Dagenham, but two “hero” bystanders gave chase and saw him flee in a getaway vehicle.
Police used their statements to arrest the jobless man at his home in Rockwell Road, Dagenham, later that same day.
He is due to sentenced at Snaresbrook Crown Court on August 15.
Culverhouse was arrested on July 24. He pleaded guilty to theft at Barkingside Magistrates’ Court on July 25 and was remanded in custody.
You may also want to watch:
Police have hailed the two men who assisted the wheelchair user as “local heroes”.
Barking and Dagenham Police Det Con, Phil Stokes, said: “Thanks to the brave actions of these public spirted men a robber will be taken off the streets of Barking and Dagenham.
- 1 Watch the moment Dagenham man attacks police officer with sword
- 2 Barking & Dagenham girls on cloud nine after big opening win
- 3 Vaisakhi observed with ceremony at Barking Town Hall
- 4 Call to change 'cash cow' yellow box junction in Marks Gate
- 5 Images released of man in connection with robbery on train from Barking
- 6 Charity shops open, Covid rules, park toilets and child exploitation
- 7 Jailed: Dagenham man for role in 'brutal' attack on off-duty police officer
- 8 Survey asks women where they feel unsafe in Barking and Dagenham
- 9 Fines for Havering landlords who put Dagenham tenants 'in danger'
- 10 Meet the candidates battling for votes in the Thames ward by-election
“While I would not recommend that anyone place themselves at risk, the actions of these men may have saved others from becoming victims of crime.”