Cashpoint robber stole from wheelchair pensioner in Dagenham
A cashpoint robber who stole �190 from an 81-year-old wheelchair user as she drew money from a bank is to be sentenced tomorrow.
Jason Culverhouse, 41, robbed the vulnerable pensioner at Lloyds in Oxlow Lane, Dagenham, but two “hero” bystanders gave chase and saw him flee in a getaway vehicle.
Police used their statements to arrest the jobless man at his home in Rockwell Road, Dagenham, later that same day.
He is due to sentenced at Snaresbrook Crown Court on August 15.
Culverhouse was arrested on July 24. He pleaded guilty to theft at Barkingside Magistrates’ Court on July 25 and was remanded in custody.
You may also want to watch:
Police have hailed the two men who assisted the wheelchair user as “local heroes”.
Barking and Dagenham Police Det Con, Phil Stokes, said: “Thanks to the brave actions of these public spirted men a robber will be taken off the streets of Barking and Dagenham.
- 1 Teenage pedestrian in hospital after Dagenham crash
- 2 Work to begin on river bus pier at Barking Riverside
- 3 Work begins on £1.8m arts centre transformation in Barking
- 4 Man praises community spirit after flood water threatens homes in Dagenham
- 5 Man, 19, stabbed in thigh in Dagenham
- 6 Ricardo Fuller death: Third man charged with murder
- 7 Man charged with murder after fatal Dagenham assault
- 8 Ex-McDonald's crew member in final of national awards honouring those shaping business world
- 9 Covid stats show cases rising across east London boroughs
- 10 Manager celebrates 25 years working for supermarket
“While I would not recommend that anyone place themselves at risk, the actions of these men may have saved others from becoming victims of crime.”