Commuters urged to be ‘calm but alert’ following suspected Parsons Green terrorist incident
- Credit: PA
Commuters have been urged to remain “calm but alert” following a suspected terrorist incident on a Tube train this morning.
Officers from the Met’s counter terrorism command are investigating a reported explosion and fire on board a District line train at Parsons Green station, south west London, at about 8.20am.
Pictures posted on social media appeared to show a flaming bucket inside a plastic carrier bag on the floor of a carriage.
A number of people have suffered injuries, with reports of a stampede taking place as commuters tried to flee the station.
A Met spokesman said: “We urge the public to remain calm but alert and if you have any concerns, see or hear anything suspicious then contact police.”
Emergency services are at the scene and the District line is currently suspended between Earl’s Court and Wimbledon.
Prime minister Theresa May is to chair a meeting of the Government’s Cobra emergencies committee this afternoon to discuss the incident.
- 1 70 firefighters tackle Dagenham house fire
- 2 Council leader on the borough's future, CPZs and receiving death threats
- 3 Dagenham cat with misshapen eye struggles to find home
- 4 Baby boy died from 'whiplash' injuries caused by shaking, trial hears
- 5 Boy, 5, dies after 'unexplained' incident off Heathway
- 6 'Staffing crisis' means children's hospice cannot offer end of life care
- 7 Dagenham woman to face trial on numerous robbery charges
- 8 Travel Bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
- 9 Cycling festival coming to Barking
- 10 Man pleads not guilty to unlicensed street trading in Dagenham
She said: “My thoughts are with those injured at Parsons Green and the emergency services who, once again, are responding swiftly and bravely to a suspected terrorist incident.”