Commuters urged to be ‘calm but alert’ following suspected Parsons Green terrorist incident
- Credit: PA
Commuters have been urged to remain “calm but alert” following a suspected terrorist incident on a Tube train this morning.
Officers from the Met’s counter terrorism command are investigating a reported explosion and fire on board a District line train at Parsons Green station, south west London, at about 8.20am.
Pictures posted on social media appeared to show a flaming bucket inside a plastic carrier bag on the floor of a carriage.
A number of people have suffered injuries, with reports of a stampede taking place as commuters tried to flee the station.
A Met spokesman said: “We urge the public to remain calm but alert and if you have any concerns, see or hear anything suspicious then contact police.”
You may also want to watch:
Emergency services are at the scene and the District line is currently suspended between Earl’s Court and Wimbledon.
Prime minister Theresa May is to chair a meeting of the Government’s Cobra emergencies committee this afternoon to discuss the incident.
- 1 Fines for Havering landlords who put Dagenham tenants 'in danger'
- 2 Watch the moment Dagenham man attacks police officer with sword
- 3 Meet the singer drawing global audiences to her Barking living room
- 4 Survey asks women where they feel unsafe in Barking and Dagenham
- 5 Images released of man in connection with robbery on train from Barking
- 6 RSPCA appeal over video of dog 'carried' by collar in Dagenham
- 7 'Terrifying' CCTV footage shows vandals take axes to cars of NHS workers
- 8 Barking fishmongers shut down by council after Covid-19 safety warning
- 9 Council denies Barking mum's claim that it took hours to respond to flood
- 10 Vaisakhi observed with ceremony at Barking Town Hall
She said: “My thoughts are with those injured at Parsons Green and the emergency services who, once again, are responding swiftly and bravely to a suspected terrorist incident.”