Court: Chadwell Heath man punched brother in head outside police station
- Credit: photo: Arnaud Stephenson
A 28-year-old man who punched his brother in the head outside a police station has escaped without a fine.
Phillip Ribbans, of Wangey Road, Chadwell Heath, pleaded guilty to assaulting his brother David at Barkingside Magistrates’ Court yesterday.
The court heard how Ribbans – currently sectioned under the Mental Health Act – was released from Ilford police station on December 7, following arrest for a separate matter, and broke into an argument with his brother in the street.
As the situation worsened, officers saw Ribbans throw several punches before bringing him back into the station, although neither man was injured
Cautioned by police for assault in 2009 and already subject to an ongoing order, he later admitted stabbing his sibling in the head to officers on a previous occasion.
He was given a six-month conditional discharge.
District judge Gary Lucie said: “You can’t around punching people, especially your brother, because it will lead you back to court again and I’m sure you don’t want that.”
- 1 Fourth man charged with murder of Dagenham man Tomasz Waga
- 2 Man sublet his council property in Barking while living in West Yorkshire
- 3 Woman treated at scene of blaze at Dagenham block of flats
- 4 Young mother died after flying to Turkey for gastric bypass surgery, inquest hears
- 5 Travel Bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
- 6 'He will not survive the cold': Family fear for missing Sphynx cat
- 7 Community comes together in photo shoot for new film studio
- 8 Car park killing: John Avers the 'best friend' of hitman, court hears
- 9 Family of woman who died after surgery in Turkey 'to pursue legal action' in search for truth
- 10 Historic fleet of vehicles moving from Dagenham, Ford confirms
Although not forced to pay a fine or court costs, Ribbans was ordered to pay a victim surcharge of £15.
The judge added: “I’m not going to award your brother any compensation because, firstly, he clearly doesn’t want it as he isn’t pressing the charge, and secondly, you can’t afford it.”