Court: Chadwell Heath man punched brother in head outside police station
- Credit: photo: Arnaud Stephenson
A 28-year-old man who punched his brother in the head outside a police station has escaped without a fine.
Phillip Ribbans, of Wangey Road, Chadwell Heath, pleaded guilty to assaulting his brother David at Barkingside Magistrates’ Court yesterday.
The court heard how Ribbans – currently sectioned under the Mental Health Act – was released from Ilford police station on December 7, following arrest for a separate matter, and broke into an argument with his brother in the street.
As the situation worsened, officers saw Ribbans throw several punches before bringing him back into the station, although neither man was injured
Cautioned by police for assault in 2009 and already subject to an ongoing order, he later admitted stabbing his sibling in the head to officers on a previous occasion.
You may also want to watch:
He was given a six-month conditional discharge.
District judge Gary Lucie said: “You can’t around punching people, especially your brother, because it will lead you back to court again and I’m sure you don’t want that.”
- 1 Fines for Havering landlords who put Dagenham tenants 'in danger'
- 2 Watch the moment Dagenham man attacks police officer with sword
- 3 Meet the singer drawing global audiences to her Barking living room
- 4 Survey asks women where they feel unsafe in Barking and Dagenham
- 5 Images released of man in connection with robbery on train from Barking
- 6 Vaisakhi observed with ceremony at Barking Town Hall
- 7 Barking fishmongers shut down by council after Covid-19 safety warning
- 8 'Terrifying' CCTV footage shows vandals take axes to cars of NHS workers
- 9 RSPCA appeal over video of dog 'carried' by collar in Dagenham
- 10 Council denies Barking mum's claim that it took hours to respond to flood
Although not forced to pay a fine or court costs, Ribbans was ordered to pay a victim surcharge of £15.
The judge added: “I’m not going to award your brother any compensation because, firstly, he clearly doesn’t want it as he isn’t pressing the charge, and secondly, you can’t afford it.”