Court: Jail for man who turned gun on Dagenham boxer after fight between family members turned nasty
- Credit: Archant
A traveller who shot a former Team GB boxer during a row between two warring families has been jailed for 16 and a half years.
Francis O’Donoghue, 27, blasted European junior champion Martin Ward – who launched his career at Dagenham Boxing Club – in the chest during a heated confrontation on a travellers’ site in Brentwood in August.
He also shot Mr Ward’s brother John in the thigh while breaking up a scrap between his wife and the Wards’ sister Roseanne.
After wounding the brothers, dad-of-three O’Donoghue turned the gun on their relatives, shouting: “I will do you all in.”
Judge Andrew Lees heard the shooting had followed a spat between O’Donoghue’s wife Theresa, 25, and a 15-year-old girl from the Ward family.
You may also want to watch:
Prosecutor Tony Prosser said: “Theresa O’Donoghue formed the opinion the 15-year-old girl had been disrespectful towards her and [Francis O’Donoghue], in tradition of the travelling community, thought there should be a fight between two grown women to settle the dispute.
“As the girl was only 15 it was thought another member of the Ward family, Roseanne, should take her place and fight Theresa.”
- 1 Elderly woman dies after van collision in Dagenham
- 2 Dagenham mum vows more acts of crochet kindness despite missing postbox toppers
- 3 Barking father's car stolen from driveway
- 4 New developments approved in Barking and Dagenham so far this year
- 5 Marvel movie blockbuster Black Widow filmed in Dagenham
- 6 More than 150 attend official opening of 'fabulous' pocket park in Barking
- 7 Man in hospital after being found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 8 Dagenham pastry chef wins patisserie award
- 9 Man, 19, stabbed in thigh in Dagenham
- 10 Dagenham man sentenced after flying kick at cop during Black Lives Matter demo
While Roseanne was shopping in Harold Wood, she was confronted by Mrs O’Donoghue. Roseanne’s husband and Francis O’Donoghue separated them – but later a fight broke out between the women on Lizvale Farm in Navestock, Brentwood.
O’Donoghue told his wife to “bite and eat” Roseanne Ward before he in turn was confronted by her brothers. He left and returned with a pistol before shooting them.
The glazier fled the travellers’ site, resulting in a manhunt by Essex Police, and was finally tracked down in East Barnet on October 12.
O’Donoghue, of Russell Avenue, in Wood Green, pleaded guilty to wounding, possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life and possession of cannabis.