Court: Jail for woman’s eight thefts, three assaults and hospital threat
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
A string of thefts totalling more than £2,500, three assaults, including two on police officers, and making threats in a hospital earnt a Barking woman nearly six months behind bars.
Barkingside Magistrates’ Court heard how Rachel Doherty, 43, of John Burns Drive took groceries worth £61 from Asda in Vicarage Fields, Barking, on February 9; meat and coffee worth £150 from Co-op in Elm Park the same day; £93 worth of cosmetics from Boots in East Street, Barking, on May 21; cosmetics worth £655 from Superdrug in Barkingside on May 22; and £25 worth of items from the 99p store in Dagenham Heathway on July 29.
The latter offence was committed while she was under a conditional discharge for three counts of theft. Doherty had taken £655 worth of boxed gifts and toiletries from Boots in George Lane, South Woodford, on November 9; £929 worth of clothes from M and Co in Upminster on November 21; and £70 of food from Morrisons in Station Parade, Elm Park, on February 15.
She was jailed for 175 days for the thefts, as well as assaulting Samantha Phatten by beating on June 6 in John Burns Drive, Barking; assaulting Pc Gordon and Pc Slavnich on May 22 in Ashurst Drive, Ilford; using threatening or abusive words or behaviour in King George Hospital, Goodmayes, on June 13; and refusing to give a sample while in police detention the following day so officers could find out whether she was under the influence of drugs.
Doherty admitted all the charges.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Appeal for help to find boy missing from Dagenham
- 2 Barking and Dagenham pubs and bars reopen for outdoor service
- 3 Becontree Estate designed after Spanish Flu 'helped prevent Covid deaths'
- 4 Jailed: ‘Extremely dangerous’ Dagenham man who plotted terrorist attack
- 5 Light festival sees cyclists brighten up Barking and Dagenham streets
- 6 Views sought on Sebastian Court community space
- 7 Meet the candidates battling for votes in the Thames ward by-election
- 8 Jailed: Dagenham man for role in 'brutal' attack on off-duty police officer
- 9 BHRUT in capsule trial for detecting colorectal cancer
- 10 Three arrests after cannabis raids in Dagenham and South Woodford