Court: Man caught with cannabis in Barking hit with £150 to pay
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
A man was slammed with a £150 bill after being caught with a class B drug for the second time in two years.
Manzeidi Mbala, 31, pleaded guilty to possessing cannabis and was ordered to pay a £75 fine plus £75 court costs and surcharge.
Barkingside magistrates heard how Mbala, of Morris Road, Leyton, was caught with five plastic self-seal bags of cannabis while on Station Parade in Barking on July 27.
Defending, Imran Ali asked whether Mbala could be dealt with by conditional discharge and explained: “His circumstances must be considered as he is currently homeless.
“He has recently set up his own window cleaning service and gets £50 a week but it has only been running for two weeks.”
You may also want to watch:
District judge Gary Lucie explained he’d happily give a conditional discharge but said: “You can’t keep handling drugs, the more you do it the more serious the penalty will get.
“However, because of your financial situation I’ll keep it to a minimum.”
- 1 380 homes and commercial space set to be built at Dagenham Dock
- 2 Men reportedly 'impersonated officers' to get access to Barking home
- 3 Ops planned as Barking and Dagenham marks London Trading Standards Week
- 4 Dagenham pop-up shop sees young people sell their products and share skills
- 5 Jailed: Man who crashed stolen van then headbutted police officer
- 6 Barking and Dagenham MPs react after 'horrific' stabbing of Sir David Amess
- 7 Chain of 10,000 teddies to be displayed in memory of toddler Ava
- 8 Beam Park station 'can't go ahead without government support', council says
- 9 Darren Rodwell: 'I attended Tory conference to lobby for underground A13'
- 10 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences