Court: Man caught with cannabis in Barking hit with £150 to pay
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
A man was slammed with a £150 bill after being caught with a class B drug for the second time in two years.
Manzeidi Mbala, 31, pleaded guilty to possessing cannabis and was ordered to pay a £75 fine plus £75 court costs and surcharge.
Barkingside magistrates heard how Mbala, of Morris Road, Leyton, was caught with five plastic self-seal bags of cannabis while on Station Parade in Barking on July 27.
Defending, Imran Ali asked whether Mbala could be dealt with by conditional discharge and explained: “His circumstances must be considered as he is currently homeless.
“He has recently set up his own window cleaning service and gets £50 a week but it has only been running for two weeks.”
You may also want to watch:
District judge Gary Lucie explained he’d happily give a conditional discharge but said: “You can’t keep handling drugs, the more you do it the more serious the penalty will get.
“However, because of your financial situation I’ll keep it to a minimum.”
- 1 The schools in Barking and Dagenham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 2 Barking and Dagenham rallies to give friends a prom night to remember
- 3 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
- 4 Mum plans 30-mile walk to Barking Station to raise money to help son take first steps
- 5 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
- 6 Dagenham MP seeks views on CPZs after 'hundreds raise concerns'
- 7 London boroughs with fastest and slowest wage growth revealed
- 8 Admissions open for new Barking school
- 9 Barking and Dagenham racks up most blue badge-related fines, study shows
- 10 Ricardo Fuller death: Men from Dagenham and Plaistow wanted in connection