Court: Man caught with cannabis in Barking hit with £150 to pay
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
A man was slammed with a £150 bill after being caught with a class B drug for the second time in two years.
Manzeidi Mbala, 31, pleaded guilty to possessing cannabis and was ordered to pay a £75 fine plus £75 court costs and surcharge.
Barkingside magistrates heard how Mbala, of Morris Road, Leyton, was caught with five plastic self-seal bags of cannabis while on Station Parade in Barking on July 27.
Defending, Imran Ali asked whether Mbala could be dealt with by conditional discharge and explained: “His circumstances must be considered as he is currently homeless.
“He has recently set up his own window cleaning service and gets £50 a week but it has only been running for two weeks.”
You may also want to watch:
District judge Gary Lucie explained he’d happily give a conditional discharge but said: “You can’t keep handling drugs, the more you do it the more serious the penalty will get.
“However, because of your financial situation I’ll keep it to a minimum.”
- 1 School pupil among Indian Covid variant cases in Barking and Dagenham
- 2 Jailed: Dagenham car burglar after 100mph pursuit in Romford
- 3 Love Island promo filming in Barking 'a great opportunity' for college students
- 4 Barking Indian restaurant owner fined over waste disposal
- 5 Barking man charged with sexual assault during crackdown on violence against women
- 6 Indian variant of Covid-19 - what's the situation in London?
- 7 Dagenham restaurant excited to celebrate return of diners 'safely together'
- 8 Drivers escape injury in Dagenham crash
- 9 Man, 20, found stabbed in Barking
- 10 Barking and Dagenham Council backs campaign against 'cladding scandal'