Court: Man caught with cannabis in Barking hit with £150 to pay
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
A man was slammed with a £150 bill after being caught with a class B drug for the second time in two years.
Manzeidi Mbala, 31, pleaded guilty to possessing cannabis and was ordered to pay a £75 fine plus £75 court costs and surcharge.
Barkingside magistrates heard how Mbala, of Morris Road, Leyton, was caught with five plastic self-seal bags of cannabis while on Station Parade in Barking on July 27.
Defending, Imran Ali asked whether Mbala could be dealt with by conditional discharge and explained: “His circumstances must be considered as he is currently homeless.
“He has recently set up his own window cleaning service and gets £50 a week but it has only been running for two weeks.”
District judge Gary Lucie explained he’d happily give a conditional discharge but said: “You can’t keep handling drugs, the more you do it the more serious the penalty will get.
“However, because of your financial situation I’ll keep it to a minimum.”
- 1 Man taken to hospital after fight reported on Heathway in Dagenham
- 2 Truck towing stolen Rolls Royce SUV crashes before dramatic foot chase
- 3 Man in critical condition after staff assault at Barking Asda
- 4 Footballer convicted of hate crime after homophobic abuse of opponent
- 5 Woman taken to hospital after Dagenham Heathway station incident
- 6 One man injured after A13 crash involving car, van and lorry
- 7 Man denies charges after drugs raids as east London duo await trial
- 8 Woman hospitalised after Dagenham garden bonfire gets out of control
- 9 David Adegbite murder: £20,000 reward offered over Barking carpark shooting
- 10 Travel bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham