Court of Appeal reduces sentence of Dagenham knife thug for stabbing that led victim to lose leg
- Credit: Met Police
A Dagenham teenager convicted of a brutal stabbing which led to his 18-year-old victim losing his leg has had his sentence reduced on appeal.
Top judges said Ce-Jay Furzer, 18, had been wrongly branded a public danger and quashed a two year licence added to his jail term.
The ruling means the teenager will serve less than four years behind bars.
His 18-year-old victim, Tyler Dawson, suffered horrific injuries and lost his leg after being stabbed in the groin by Furzer, then aged 17, last June.
Tyler’s mother Kerry Dawson, 43, has slammed the ruling, describing it as “a joke”.
You may also want to watch:
Dagenham MP Jon Cruddas backed her, saying: “I completely condemn this decision.
“It is mind boggling that after an individual has been sentenced for knife crime, appeal court judges can backtrack and say he is not a ‘public danger’.
- 1 Wates Residential wins contract to build 400 homes in Barking
- 2 Jailed: Dagenham man who took part in racist robbery which left man needing facial reconstruction
- 3 Barking and Dagenham gets ready to mark St George's Day
- 4 Meeting ex-banker London mayoral candidate Brian Rose
- 5 Barking & Dagenham girls on cloud nine after big opening win
- 6 Man fined £700 after throwing away cigarette outside Barking station
- 7 Barking mum: 'Wood falling from truck could have killed me or my kids'
- 8 Watch the moment Dagenham man attacks police officer with sword
- 9 Dagenham boss McMahon keen to build on back-to-back wins
- 10 Have your say on the future of the Barking and Dagenham Post
“A young man has suffered life changing injuries. If we are serious about tackling violent crime we need to be tough on the criminals that commit it.”
Mum Kerry said she was “dumbfounded, shocked and disappointed” with the Court of Appeal’s judgement.
She accused the courts of making a mockery of government promises to be tough on knife crime.
“I don’t even know what to say,” she said. “This just says appeal your sentence and they’ll chop some time off, because no one cares.”
Her eldest son Tyler, now 19, suffered horrendous injuries in the attack in Blackborne Road, Dagenham, last June.
An artery in Tyler’s groin was severed when Furzer stabbed him with a flick knife.
Tyler’s leg had to be amputated by surgeons and he almost died four times in hospital.
Furzer, of Dagenham, pleaded guilty to wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm in November.
The following month he was sentenced to seven years and 10 months in prison and another two years to serve on extended licence.
But top Court of Appeal judges quashed the licence period on Friday, saying Furzer had been wrongly branded a public danger.
He will now walk free after serving half his sentence.
“How can anyone tell me he’s not dangerous?” said Kerry. “My boy has got a whole life of living with this.
“He ain’t never escaping it. This kid is still going to be a young adult when he comes out. What stops him coming straight to my door.”
The shattered mum was in tears as the Post told her about the court’s decision on Friday.
Authorities had not been in touch to pass on the news.
It comes after the Post applied for reporting restrictions in the case to be lifted so Furzer could be named and made an FOI request to police for his arrest custody image to be released.
Tyler’s mum said the justice system had put Furzer’s rights before those of her son.
“It has been a nightmare,” she said.