Court: Woman ‘feared she had Aids’ after alleged rape by Barking Market trader
- Credit: Archant
A market trader left a mother fearing she had Aids after he repeatedly raped her, a court heard today.
Haiwad Khan, 25, met the woman, who cannot be named for legal reasons, when she bought a scooter from his stall at Barking Market.
Summing up the evidence heard during Khan’s trial, Recorder Richard Sutton QC told the jury the defendant, of Wood Lane, Dagenham, met up with the woman after the pair exchanged a number of text messages.
Eventually a meeting at Cranbrook Hotel, Ilford, in early September saw Khan rape her twice in the same day, prosecutors allege.
Prior to that, the jury heard, Khan had put his hands around the victim’s throat following an argument.
You may also want to watch:
During her witness testimony, the woman said: “He [Khan] pushed me back on the bed.
“He said: ‘If you love me you will let me.’
- 1 Man recalled to prison after persistent anti-social behaviour in Dagenham cul de sac
- 2 Dagenham rallies round to make memories for family of 'joyful, little' tot with cancer
- 3 Organisers seek former Mayesbrook teachers to join school reunion
- 4 Second blaze breaks out at White Horse pub in Chadwell Heath
- 5 Free parking for NHS staff and key workers extended
- 6 Town hall seeks powers to prevent 'unsightly' loft extensions
- 7 Sunflower Suite at Queen's Hospital chosen for this year's Christine Willett Trust donation
- 8 Dagenham primary scoops second mental health award
- 9 Dagenham crash to defeat at home to Stockport
- 10 More than half of people in Barking and Dagenham may have had Covid, data shows
“He was lying on top of me, kissing me on the face. He was rough, biting my face and neck and pushing and pinching my breasts.
“I said ‘stop’ [but] he took no notice and was saying ‘sshh’.
“He held my hands above my head. I was wriggling. His other arm was on my mouth. I couldn’t breathe.”
After the alleged rape, Khan and the woman went to get some food before returning to the hotel room, where he allegedly raped her again.
The jury of seven men and five women heard she had been in severe pain and was bleeding as a result.
Days later the woman went to see a doctor because of her soreness and said she was “worried it might be Aids”, the court heard.
But Andrew Cohen, defending, said the victim chose to have dinner with Khan just days later.
He told jurors: “She is willing to lie and lie again until she is caught out.”
The jury heard how Khan was an “overstayer”, meaning an illegal immigrant, when the pair met.
Khan, originally from Abu Dhabi, denies three counts of rape, a single count each of assault by penetration and sexual assault, two counts of battery and one of intimidation.
The jury is expected to retire to consider its verdict this afternoon.