Councillor launches crowdfund campaign to replace bicycle robbed from Barking schoolboy
- Credit: Archant
A councillor has launched a crowdfunding campaign to replace a bicycle robbed from a Barking schoolboy as he rode it for the first time.
Zayn Khan, 15, who lives in Upney Lane, saved up a year’s worth of pocket money to buy himself the new £200 mountain bike.
However whilst taking it for its maiden spin around Barking Park, he was targeted by a group of three men who threw him off his bike before punching and kicking him.
After reading about the robbery on the Post website Faruk Choudhury, who is Zayn’s councillor in Longbridge ward, has decided to step in and help him get a replacement.
He said: “When I heard what had happened to Zayn I was appalled and saddened. As a community we have to do something to help.
You may also want to watch:
“No one, young or old, should feel afraid to leave their home.”
To donate towards a replacement bike for Zayn, click here.
- 1 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 2 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
- 3 Three shops 'fail test purchases' after joining safe knife selling scheme
- 4 Youngsters create film inspired by Dagenham's links to slave trade abolitionists
- 5 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 6 Residents and traders react to proposed A13 tunnel in Dagenham
- 7 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 8 Daggers boss McMahon 'very pleased' with Southend United victory
- 9 Ex-Strictly Come Dancing star gets pupils shimmying in Barking
- 10 'Stunning mural celebrating Barking history is complete