Councillor launches crowdfund campaign to replace bicycle robbed from Barking schoolboy
- Credit: Archant
A councillor has launched a crowdfunding campaign to replace a bicycle robbed from a Barking schoolboy as he rode it for the first time.
Zayn Khan, 15, who lives in Upney Lane, saved up a year’s worth of pocket money to buy himself the new £200 mountain bike.
However whilst taking it for its maiden spin around Barking Park, he was targeted by a group of three men who threw him off his bike before punching and kicking him.
After reading about the robbery on the Post website Faruk Choudhury, who is Zayn’s councillor in Longbridge ward, has decided to step in and help him get a replacement.
He said: “When I heard what had happened to Zayn I was appalled and saddened. As a community we have to do something to help.
You may also want to watch:
“No one, young or old, should feel afraid to leave their home.”
To donate towards a replacement bike for Zayn, click here.
- 1 Street food market coming to Barking as lockdown continues to ease
- 2 Three arrests after cannabis raids in Dagenham and South Woodford
- 3 PICTURES: People enjoy new 'rule of six' at Barking and Dagenham parks
- 4 Second World War bomb pulled from River Thames in Barking
- 5 Jailed: Burglar who drove on wrong side of road trying to flee police
- 6 Barking and Dagenham pays tribute to Prince Philip
- 7 Column: Dagenham & Redbridge must strive for redemption
- 8 Rainbow lights 'signal hope' as part of Barking and Dagenham festival
- 9 Hospital worker killed by ex-partner before he committed suicide, court hears
- 10 'I can't wait to buy useless items' when shops reopen after Covid lockdown