Dagenham and Redbridge footballer cleared of assault on woman
A League Two footballer has today been cleared of common assault on a woman in a nightclub.
Joshua Scott, who plays for Dagenham and Redbridge Football Club, was found not guilty at the Old Bailey of attacking Charlotte Wheeler at the Mayfair Club in central London in August 2010.
However he was bound over to keep the peace for 12 months and �250, which means if he commits a breach of the peace in the next year he will be punished for any offence and fined.
Scott, 26, is from Enfield, north London.
The court heard that he is on a “modest income” of �33,000 per year.
You may also want to watch:
Judge John Bevan QC told him: “Professional footballers at whatever level set a pretty poor example in some cases. We read about them in the papers all the time because they are in the public eye.
“Looking at your record, you have to be mindful of that and behave as befits someone in the public eye.
- 1 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
- 2 Ex-Strictly Come Dancing star gets pupils shimmying in Barking
- 3 Three shops 'fail test purchases' after joining safe knife selling scheme
- 4 Residents and traders react to proposed A13 tunnel in Dagenham
- 5 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 6 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 7 Youngsters create film inspired by Dagenham's links to slave trade abolitionists
- 8 Barking woman praises job programme that has helped more than 3,000 people
- 9 Stephen Port inquests: Senior cop wishes he 'pushed further' for murder investigation
- 10 Paralympic gold medallist inspires Dagenham judo pupils
“Although you are on a modest income, you set an example to the young and so far the example that you set hasn’t been a very good one.”
The judge added: “I hope you will view this whole experience as an unpleasant one which you would not wish to repeat.”
No evidence was offered in relation to a separate allegation of causing grievous bodily harm to another woman, Amy Somers.