Dagenham carer who suffocated MS father found guilty of murder
- Credit: Archant
A transgender carer who suffocated her father who was suffering from multiple sclerosis has been found guilty of murder this morning.
Claire Darbyshire, 36, killed her 67-year-old father Brian at their home in Wykeham Green, Dagenham, on September 2 last year.
After deliberating for 11 hours and 32 minutes, a jury unanimously found Darbyshire guilty of murder at the Old Bailey.
During the trial, the jury had been asked to consider the grounds for murder, manslaughter and assisted suicide.
The defendant gave no reaction as the verdict was delivered, while family members left court in tears.
You may also want to watch:
The Recorder of London, Nicholas Hilliard QC, adjourned sentencing to a date to be fixed and asked for a prison report, saying he wanted to understand the impact of custody “in the particular circumstances”.
Do you know Claire or did you know Brian Darbyshire? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 020 8477 3824.
- 1 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
- 2 Ex-Strictly Come Dancing star gets pupils shimmying in Barking
- 3 Three shops 'fail test purchases' after joining safe knife selling scheme
- 4 Youngsters create film inspired by Dagenham's links to slave trade abolitionists
- 5 'Stunning mural celebrating Barking history is complete
- 6 Residents and traders react to proposed A13 tunnel in Dagenham
- 7 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 8 Paralympic gold medallist inspires Dagenham judo pupils
- 9 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 10 Murder of 'local hero' policeman in Dagenham to be marked after 175 years