Dagenham electrician used trust to abuse children
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Ima
An electrician who abused his customers’ children has been jailed for 18 years.
Kevin Leahy, 60, of Westfield Road, Dagenham, groomed the youngsters with presents and pocket money before inviting them to his home.
He raped a girl on her 13th birthday and showed a young boy a video of him and his wife having group sex. Another victim abandoned her career as a police officer because she was unable to cope with the daily reminders of what she had been through. A fourth has attempted suicide twice.
Jailing Leahy at Southwark Crown Court on Tuesday, Judge Martin Griffith said he had never seen anything as extreme as Leahy’s actions.
His crimes were exposed after he was convicted last year of sexually abusing three girls.
You may also want to watch:
He was jailed for six years and nine months for two counts of indecent assault of a child in 1985 and one count of sexual assault and one count of engaging in sexual activity in front of a child in 2009.
Police discovered a cache of DVDs containing footage of people having sex after he installed a secret camera in his spare bedroom.
- 1 Street food market coming to Barking as lockdown continues to ease
- 2 Three arrests after cannabis raids in Dagenham and South Woodford
- 3 PICTURES: People enjoy new 'rule of six' at Barking and Dagenham parks
- 4 Second World War bomb pulled from River Thames in Barking
- 5 Jailed: Burglar who drove on wrong side of road trying to flee police
- 6 Barking and Dagenham pays tribute to Prince Philip
- 7 Column: Dagenham & Redbridge must strive for redemption
- 8 Rainbow lights 'signal hope' as part of Barking and Dagenham festival
- 9 Hospital worker killed by ex-partner before he committed suicide, court hears
- 10 'I can't wait to buy useless items' when shops reopen after Covid lockdown
He was convicted of the four counts of child abuse after trial, but admitted four charges of voyeurism relating to the footage found at his home.
He was unanimously convicted of six counts of rape, three counts of indecent assault, and three other charges at the second trial last month. He was also convicted of three counts of sexual activity with a child, two of causing a child to engage in sexual activity and three of incitement to commit an act of gross indecency.