Dagenham electrician used trust to abuse children
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Ima
An electrician who abused his customers’ children has been jailed for 18 years.
Kevin Leahy, 60, of Westfield Road, Dagenham, groomed the youngsters with presents and pocket money before inviting them to his home.
He raped a girl on her 13th birthday and showed a young boy a video of him and his wife having group sex. Another victim abandoned her career as a police officer because she was unable to cope with the daily reminders of what she had been through. A fourth has attempted suicide twice.
Jailing Leahy at Southwark Crown Court on Tuesday, Judge Martin Griffith said he had never seen anything as extreme as Leahy’s actions.
His crimes were exposed after he was convicted last year of sexually abusing three girls.
You may also want to watch:
He was jailed for six years and nine months for two counts of indecent assault of a child in 1985 and one count of sexual assault and one count of engaging in sexual activity in front of a child in 2009.
Police discovered a cache of DVDs containing footage of people having sex after he installed a secret camera in his spare bedroom.
- 1 Man, 19, stabbed in thigh in Dagenham
- 2 Clean up continues after flooding across Barking and Dagenham
- 3 Man charged with murder after fatal Dagenham assault
- 4 Murder investigation in Dagenham after man dies in street
- 5 Manager celebrates 25 years working for supermarket
- 6 Dagenham set to sign youngster Aaron Blair as McQueen to go out on loan
- 7 College student selected as national finalist with pearly king photo series
- 8 Deadline looming to comment on proposed constituency changes
- 9 Dagenham 88 Runners returned to parkrun action and tackled ELVIS race
- 10 Arts centre in Barking selects artists for Black Art Matters project
He was convicted of the four counts of child abuse after trial, but admitted four charges of voyeurism relating to the footage found at his home.
He was unanimously convicted of six counts of rape, three counts of indecent assault, and three other charges at the second trial last month. He was also convicted of three counts of sexual activity with a child, two of causing a child to engage in sexual activity and three of incitement to commit an act of gross indecency.