Dagenham father jailed after head-butting and robbing cab driver
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
A Dagenham father who head-butted a cab driver and stole his money has been jailed for 16 months.
Alan Bafli was sentenced at Snaresbrook Crown Court last Tuesday after pleading guilty to a robbery outside Broad Street Medical Centre in Morland Road, Dagenham.
Unemployed Bafli ordered a mini-cab on November 28 to take himself, his girlfriend and their child to the Broad Street Medical Centre, a police spokesman said.
When they arrived the 27-year-old refused to pay the £8 fare, so the driver followed him in to the centre and asked him to pay up.
Balfi, of Second Avenue, Dagenham, gave the driver a £5 note but would not pay the outstanding balance.
You may also want to watch:
After the driver insisted the extra £3 be paid Bafli told him to come outside where he would give him the cash.
But once outside Balfi head-butted the driver and snatched £15.00 from his pocket, including the £5 he had just handed over.
- 1 More than 100 Covid dead at Queen's and King George this week
- 2 New Covid test site opening in Barking this weekend
- 3 More than half of people in Barking and Dagenham may have had Covid, data shows
- 4 GPs roll up their sleeves to support colleagues at Queen's Hospital
- 5 Appeal after shots fired at house in Dagenham
- 6 Town hall to decide on bid for Dagenham freeport
- 7 Doctors and nurses 'exhausted' as hospitals reach breaking point
- 8 Samuel Garside House fire review prompts questions over responsibility
- 9 Rapid Covid-19 test site for people without symptoms open in Dagenham
- 10 Appeal to find witness who comforted woman hit by a car in Barking
He was arrested the next day and charged with robbery.
Investigating officer DC Trevor Guy said: “Violent incidents have a devastating effect on the lives of the victims.
“After the court case is finished they still face the unenviable task of learning to live with the after effects of their ordeal. Balfi will have time to reflect on this as he serves his sentence.”