Dagenham father jailed after head-butting and robbing cab driver
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
A Dagenham father who head-butted a cab driver and stole his money has been jailed for 16 months.
Alan Bafli was sentenced at Snaresbrook Crown Court last Tuesday after pleading guilty to a robbery outside Broad Street Medical Centre in Morland Road, Dagenham.
Unemployed Bafli ordered a mini-cab on November 28 to take himself, his girlfriend and their child to the Broad Street Medical Centre, a police spokesman said.
When they arrived the 27-year-old refused to pay the £8 fare, so the driver followed him in to the centre and asked him to pay up.
Balfi, of Second Avenue, Dagenham, gave the driver a £5 note but would not pay the outstanding balance.
After the driver insisted the extra £3 be paid Bafli told him to come outside where he would give him the cash.
But once outside Balfi head-butted the driver and snatched £15.00 from his pocket, including the £5 he had just handed over.
- 1 Barking Market extended to 'ease antisocial behaviour'
- 2 Dagenham mum says council is 'neglecting daughters' health'
- 3 Dagenham pub to host inaugural local Christmas fair
- 4 Thousands watch Barking Christmas lights switch-on
- 5 Plans to cut up to 600 Tube station jobs amid TfL 'funding crisis'
- 6 'Devastated' friends need £36k to help mum with bowel cancer
- 7 Festive events and family days out in east London this weekend
- 8 Student nurse charged with alleged rape
- 9 'It's the right time': Dame Margaret Hodge on not seeking re-election
- 10 Councillors visit Ben Kinsella Trust anti-knife crime exhibition
He was arrested the next day and charged with robbery.
Investigating officer DC Trevor Guy said: “Violent incidents have a devastating effect on the lives of the victims.
“After the court case is finished they still face the unenviable task of learning to live with the after effects of their ordeal. Balfi will have time to reflect on this as he serves his sentence.”