Fined: Dagenham lettings agent that failed to publish their fees
- Credit: Archant
A ‘rogue’ letting agent has been fined £4,000 after failing to publish the correct fees for tenants and landlords.
Atco Estates, of Green Lane, Dagenham also failed to provide information about their membership of a scheme meant to safeguard money held on behalf of clients.
Cllr Margaret Mullane, cabinet member for environment and community safety, said: “We won’t allow businesses who do not play by the rules to get away with it.
“We will continue to clamp down on rogue letting agents.
“If you want to be a letting agent in Barking and Dagenham, the message is crystal clear: you must comply with the law.”
You may also want to watch:
Letting agents must display their fees online and in branches so prospective tenants and landlords know what they’re paying when entering into a rental agreement.
The council’s trading standards officers first advised Atco Estates about the rules in January 2017 but fees listed on the agent’s website were inaccurate during a check last May.
- 1 Man, 19, stabbed in thigh in Dagenham
- 2 Man charged with murder after fatal Dagenham assault
- 3 Manager celebrates 25 years working for supermarket
- 4 Clean up continues after flooding across Barking and Dagenham
- 5 Murder investigation in Dagenham after man dies in street
- 6 A look back at floods which have devastated east London since 2016
- 7 Dagenham MP seeks views on CPZs after 'hundreds raise concerns'
- 8 Comedian: 'Jeff's in space and I'm stuck in traffic at Gallows Corner'
- 9 Dagenham 88 Runners returned to parkrun action and tackled ELVIS race
- 10 The schools in Barking and Dagenham rated outstanding by Ofsted
Atco Estates appealed a fine saying that they had displayed fees and couldn’t afford to pay.
But a tribunal found the fees listed on the agent’s website were inaccurate.