Fined: Dagenham lettings agent that failed to publish their fees
- Credit: Archant
A ‘rogue’ letting agent has been fined £4,000 after failing to publish the correct fees for tenants and landlords.
Atco Estates, of Green Lane, Dagenham also failed to provide information about their membership of a scheme meant to safeguard money held on behalf of clients.
Cllr Margaret Mullane, cabinet member for environment and community safety, said: “We won’t allow businesses who do not play by the rules to get away with it.
“We will continue to clamp down on rogue letting agents.
“If you want to be a letting agent in Barking and Dagenham, the message is crystal clear: you must comply with the law.”
You may also want to watch:
Letting agents must display their fees online and in branches so prospective tenants and landlords know what they’re paying when entering into a rental agreement.
The council’s trading standards officers first advised Atco Estates about the rules in January 2017 but fees listed on the agent’s website were inaccurate during a check last May.
- 1 Wates Residential wins contract to build 400 homes in Barking
- 2 Jailed: Dagenham man who took part in racist robbery which left man needing facial reconstruction
- 3 Barking and Dagenham gets ready to mark St George's Day
- 4 Meeting ex-banker London mayoral candidate Brian Rose
- 5 Barking & Dagenham girls on cloud nine after big opening win
- 6 Man fined £700 after throwing away cigarette outside Barking station
- 7 Barking mum: 'Wood falling from truck could have killed me or my kids'
- 8 Watch the moment Dagenham man attacks police officer with sword
- 9 Dagenham boss McMahon keen to build on back-to-back wins
- 10 Have your say on the future of the Barking and Dagenham Post
Atco Estates appealed a fine saying that they had displayed fees and couldn’t afford to pay.
But a tribunal found the fees listed on the agent’s website were inaccurate.