Dagenham man, 23, charged with money-laundering and fraud
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Ima
A 23-year-old man from Dagenham appeared in court today charged with a series of money-laundering and fraud offences.
Anrul Islam, of Hedgemans Road, was arrested on March 4 by the Met’s Counter Terrorism Command (SO15), as part of an investigation into a cold-calling scam linked to Syria-bound UK extremists.
Unsuspecting vulnerable and elderly victims were called on their home phones by someone impersonating a police officer, informing them their bank account has been compromised and deceiving them into transferring money to another account.
Together with Mohammed Youssfi, 37, of Fulham Road, Fulham, Mr Islam stood before Camberwell Green Magistrates’ Court charged with being concerned in the acquisition, retention, use or control of criminal property and with acquiring, using or possessing criminal property in relation to alleged offences between May 28, 2014 and June 6, 2014.
The pair also stand fraud charges in relation to alleged offences between October 2011 and May 2014.
You may also want to watch:
A third man, Warsame Sheik, 29, of White City Estate, Shepherd’s Bush, has been bailed to appear before the court on 29 April, in connection with similar criminal property offences.
A fourth man, arrested on March 10 on suspicion of money laundering, has been bailed to return to a central London police station in early May, pending further enquiries.
- 1 Marvel movie blockbuster Black Widow filmed in Dagenham
- 2 Watchdog upholds 90pc of complaints against council, figures show
- 3 New developments approved in Barking and Dagenham so far this year
- 4 Dagenham pastry chef wins patisserie award
- 5 Man in hospital after being found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 6 Dagenham mum vows more acts of crochet kindness despite missing postbox toppers
- 7 Dagenham author pens novel to mark centenary of Becontree Estate
- 8 Dagenham man sentenced after flying kick at cop during Black Lives Matter demo
- 9 Barking and Dagenham and Redbridge 'least active' boroughs in London, study finds
- 10 Data reveals house price rises in Olympic boroughs since London 2012