Dagenham man, 23, charged with money-laundering and fraud
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Ima
A 23-year-old man from Dagenham appeared in court today charged with a series of money-laundering and fraud offences.
Anrul Islam, of Hedgemans Road, was arrested on March 4 by the Met’s Counter Terrorism Command (SO15), as part of an investigation into a cold-calling scam linked to Syria-bound UK extremists.
Unsuspecting vulnerable and elderly victims were called on their home phones by someone impersonating a police officer, informing them their bank account has been compromised and deceiving them into transferring money to another account.
Together with Mohammed Youssfi, 37, of Fulham Road, Fulham, Mr Islam stood before Camberwell Green Magistrates’ Court charged with being concerned in the acquisition, retention, use or control of criminal property and with acquiring, using or possessing criminal property in relation to alleged offences between May 28, 2014 and June 6, 2014.
The pair also stand fraud charges in relation to alleged offences between October 2011 and May 2014.
You may also want to watch:
A third man, Warsame Sheik, 29, of White City Estate, Shepherd’s Bush, has been bailed to appear before the court on 29 April, in connection with similar criminal property offences.
A fourth man, arrested on March 10 on suspicion of money laundering, has been bailed to return to a central London police station in early May, pending further enquiries.
- 1 Drivers escape injury in Dagenham crash
- 2 Man, 20, found stabbed in Barking
- 3 Eid prayer recited outside Barking Town Hall as groups call for more worship spaces
- 4 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed
- 5 'Love Island promo' spotted filming in Barking
- 6 Former east London police sergeant sentenced after pleading guilty to harassment
- 7 Antisocial behaviour patrols in Barking and Dagenham
- 8 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 9 Barking and Dagenham goes two weeks without Covid-19 deaths
- 10 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder