Dagenham man, 23, charged with money-laundering and fraud
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Ima
A 23-year-old man from Dagenham appeared in court today charged with a series of money-laundering and fraud offences.
Anrul Islam, of Hedgemans Road, was arrested on March 4 by the Met’s Counter Terrorism Command (SO15), as part of an investigation into a cold-calling scam linked to Syria-bound UK extremists.
Unsuspecting vulnerable and elderly victims were called on their home phones by someone impersonating a police officer, informing them their bank account has been compromised and deceiving them into transferring money to another account.
Together with Mohammed Youssfi, 37, of Fulham Road, Fulham, Mr Islam stood before Camberwell Green Magistrates’ Court charged with being concerned in the acquisition, retention, use or control of criminal property and with acquiring, using or possessing criminal property in relation to alleged offences between May 28, 2014 and June 6, 2014.
The pair also stand fraud charges in relation to alleged offences between October 2011 and May 2014.
A third man, Warsame Sheik, 29, of White City Estate, Shepherd’s Bush, has been bailed to appear before the court on 29 April, in connection with similar criminal property offences.
A fourth man, arrested on March 10 on suspicion of money laundering, has been bailed to return to a central London police station in early May, pending further enquiries.
- 1 Barking MP Margaret Hodge 'will not stand' in next general election
- 2 ‘He put his life into family’: Tributes paid to former builder who died of Covid
- 3 Homophobia ruled out for jury in Stephen Port victims’ inquests
- 4 Travel: What to watch out for across Havering, Redbridge and Barking and Dagenham
- 5 Barking cash and carry boss jailed for five years for money laundering
- 6 There With You This Winter: Mayor offers £51m of funding for fuel poverty
- 7 Barking was Britain's ninth most used station in 2020/21, figures show
- 8 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 9 Strike action will hit Central and Victoria line Night Tube services this weekend
- 10 What are the chances of a white Christmas in London?