Dagenham man has jail sentence increased for escaping from Pentoville prison
- Credit: Archant
A prisoner from Dagenham has had further time added to his jail sentence after he escaped from Pentoville prison by sawing through a metal bar and clambering over the roof.
Matthew Baker was serving a minimum term of 10 years and had a string of convictions for violent offences including assaulting a police officer before he escaped last November.
The 29-year-old went on the run with prolific burglar James Whitlock, 32, with staff not realising they had escaped until 15 hours after they were last seen.
Baker was found two days later hiding under a bed at his sister Kelly’s home in Ilford with dyed hair.
Last week, he was jailed for 30 months and Whitlock 24 months.
You may also want to watch:
Both will serve their terms consecutively with their current prison sentences.
Baker’s girlfriend Chelsea Gibson, 25, from Bow, pleaded guilty to assisting an escaped prisoner.
- 1 Dagenham pop-up shop sees young people sell their products and share skills
- 2 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 3 Men reportedly 'impersonated officers' to get access to Barking home
- 4 380 homes and commercial space set to be built at Dagenham Dock
- 5 Stephen Port inquests: Detective apologises to families for mistakes
- 6 Jailed: Man who crashed stolen van then headbutted police officer
- 7 Dagenham advance in FA Cup with two late goals at Wealdstone
- 8 'Life is hard, why make it harder?': Protesters call for new consultation over parking scheme roll out
- 9 Chain of 10,000 teddies to be displayed in memory of toddler Ava
- 10 Dagenham showed 'mental strength' in FA Cup win over Wealdstone
Kelly Baker admitted harbouring an escaped prisoner.
Both women will be sentenced on July 3.