Dagenham man has jail sentence increased for escaping from Pentoville prison
- Credit: Archant
A prisoner from Dagenham has had further time added to his jail sentence after he escaped from Pentoville prison by sawing through a metal bar and clambering over the roof.
Matthew Baker was serving a minimum term of 10 years and had a string of convictions for violent offences including assaulting a police officer before he escaped last November.
The 29-year-old went on the run with prolific burglar James Whitlock, 32, with staff not realising they had escaped until 15 hours after they were last seen.
Baker was found two days later hiding under a bed at his sister Kelly’s home in Ilford with dyed hair.
Last week, he was jailed for 30 months and Whitlock 24 months.
You may also want to watch:
Both will serve their terms consecutively with their current prison sentences.
Baker’s girlfriend Chelsea Gibson, 25, from Bow, pleaded guilty to assisting an escaped prisoner.
- 1 Fines for Havering landlords who put Dagenham tenants 'in danger'
- 2 Watch the moment Dagenham man attacks police officer with sword
- 3 Meet the singer drawing global audiences to her Barking living room
- 4 Images released of man in connection with robbery on train from Barking
- 5 Survey asks women where they feel unsafe in Barking and Dagenham
- 6 RSPCA appeal over video of dog 'carried' by collar in Dagenham
- 7 Barking fishmongers shut down by council after Covid-19 safety warning
- 8 'Terrifying' CCTV footage shows vandals take axes to cars of NHS workers
- 9 Council denies Barking mum's claim that it took hours to respond to flood
- 10 Vaisakhi observed with ceremony at Barking Town Hall
Kelly Baker admitted harbouring an escaped prisoner.
Both women will be sentenced on July 3.