Dagenham man has jail sentence increased for escaping from Pentoville prison
- Credit: Archant
A prisoner from Dagenham has had further time added to his jail sentence after he escaped from Pentoville prison by sawing through a metal bar and clambering over the roof.
Matthew Baker was serving a minimum term of 10 years and had a string of convictions for violent offences including assaulting a police officer before he escaped last November.
The 29-year-old went on the run with prolific burglar James Whitlock, 32, with staff not realising they had escaped until 15 hours after they were last seen.
Baker was found two days later hiding under a bed at his sister Kelly’s home in Ilford with dyed hair.
Last week, he was jailed for 30 months and Whitlock 24 months.
You may also want to watch:
Both will serve their terms consecutively with their current prison sentences.
Baker’s girlfriend Chelsea Gibson, 25, from Bow, pleaded guilty to assisting an escaped prisoner.
- 1 Marvel movie blockbuster Black Widow filmed in Dagenham
- 2 Dagenham man sentenced after flying kick at cop during Black Lives Matter demo
- 3 Man in hospital after being found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 4 Storage building next to disused Dagenham pub destroyed by fire
- 5 Dagenham pastry chef wins patisserie award
- 6 Watchdog upholds 90pc of complaints against council, figures show
- 7 Dagenham author pens novel to mark centenary of Becontree Estate
- 8 Data reveals house price rises in Olympic boroughs since London 2012
- 9 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 10 Barking and Dagenham and Redbridge 'least active' boroughs in London, study finds
Kelly Baker admitted harbouring an escaped prisoner.
Both women will be sentenced on July 3.