Dagenham man who downloaded indecent images of children avoids jail
- Credit: Archant
A man who admitted downloading indecent images of children has avoided jail.
Darren Rawlings, of Armstrong Close, Dagenham, pleaded guilty to two counts of distributing an indecent photograph of a child at Barkingside Magistrates’ Court on Friday and was handed a 20-week suspended sentence.
Police officers found 21 category C images on his computer in November. They had been downloaded in December 2014 and were only available through his personal log-in.
The court ordered Rawlings, 40, to carry out 100 hours of community work and attend 25 days of rehabilitation activities.
He was also ordered to pay a £60 victim surcharge and costs of £85 for each offence – £145 in total – and has been made to sign the sex offenders register.
Sentencing, chair of the bench Jane Burt said: “This offence crosses the custody threshold because of the number of images and the level of harm of images make it a serious offence to us.
“I have to warn you that if you don’t carry out the requirements of your order it’s highly likely you will have to go to prison to serve that time, but if you keep everything up and don’t commit a further offence it won’t happen to you – it’s up to you.”
- 1 Illegal Dagenham puppy farm owners sentenced
- 2 Council tax rebates totalling £2m remain unclaimed, authority says
- 3 Dagenham fire families receive thousands in donated cash
- 4 London among areas where drought is declared
- 5 Item thrown from A13 bridge smashes windscreen and injures driver
- 6 Liz Truss visits Dagenham youth centre on Tory leadership campaign trail
- 7 'An incredible privilege’: Dagenham and Rainham MP Jon Cruddas on 21 years of service
- 8 How to see the last supermoon of the year this weekend
- 9 West Ham 'couldn't get near' City says Moyes
- 10 ‘It’s like a warzone’: Extent of damage to Ballards Road homes on show following blaze which destroyed 14 houses
Rawlings, who had no previous convictions, represented himself in court.
“I can only say it was a one-off,” he said.
“I’m so sorry and I’m going to regret this for a while.
“I just want to get on my life and I don’t want to be in this position again.
“I’m going to regret it for a number of years because I’m on the sex offenders register and I’m very ashamed.”