Dagenham MP faces driving ban after being arrested for no insurance
A prominent Labour MP faces a driving ban after being arrested on suspicion of being at the wheel of a car with an expired MoT and insurance.
Jon Cruddas, the MP for Dagenham & Rainham, was driving a Land Rover near Hyde Park when he was pulled over after officers noticed what appeared to be a defective brake light.
He could be handed a driving ban or hefty fines after being summoned to appear before City of London Magistrates’ Court later this month.
Labour leader Ed Miliband has promoted the left-wing MP to run a review of the party’s policies, which could include an answer to David Cameron’s Big Society plans.
Mr Cruddas was unavailable for comment but the Met confirmed a summons had been issued after he was stopped by police on July 6.
You may also want to watch:
A Met police spokesman said: “A summons has been served alleging driving without valid insurance and MoT in Bayswater Road by Jon Cruddas MP and is returnable to City of London Magistrates’ Court on October 26.”
- 1 Butcher fined £40k for selling 'poor quality chicken'
- 2 Major train disruption and cancellations through Barking via Rainham
- 3 Indian restaurants in Barking and Dagenham, recommended by readers
- 4 Stephen Port victims' delayed inquest set to begin in Barking
- 5 Parade through Barking celebrates borough's 'inspirational' youngsters
- 6 Hospitality Day: Barking and Dagenham's favourite cafe, pub and restaurant revealed
- 7 Man in 50s stabbed in Barking
- 8 Restaurant ordered to pay £5k after 2019 fly-tipping offences
- 9 Humanist: 'Support bill to scrap archaic requirement for school worship'
- 10 New CCTV footage in connection with 2017 fatal stabbing of Joshua Bwalya