Dagenham named UK’s burglary hotspot
- Credit: Archant
Dagenham has been named the UK’s burglary hotspot, with the highest rate of insurance claims in the country.
Over the past two years, 55 out of every 1,000 insurance quotes in the RM8 postcode have made a burglary claim, according to price comparison site MoneySuperMarket.
An annual study found 14 of the top 20 postcode areas for claims were in London, with Gants Hill, Newbury Park, Hornchurch and Ardleigh Green also featuring high on the list.
Kevin Pratt, home insurance expert at MoneySuperMarket, said: “Our annual Burglary Claims Tracker reveals the nation’s burglary claim hotspots, and once again London and Greater London postcodes dominate.”
According to the study, over half of those burgled, or who knew a burglary victim, admitted to lasting effects – the most common being paranoia about their safety at home – while one in eight never recover emotionally.
You may also want to watch:
Mark Castle, chief executive of the charity Victim Support said: “As a charity that supports thousands of burglary victims each year, we know how devastating an impact this crime can have and we are here to help.
“Victims tell us that they suffer far more than material loss when their home is burgled - the psychological impact of this crime can be drastic, long lasting and different for everyone.”
- 1 Work to begin on river bus pier at Barking Riverside
- 2 Teenage pedestrian in hospital after Dagenham crash
- 3 Work begins on £1.8m arts centre transformation in Barking
- 4 Man, 19, stabbed in thigh in Dagenham
- 5 Man praises community spirit after flood water threatens homes in Dagenham
- 6 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 7 Murder investigation in Dagenham after man dies in street
- 8 Man charged with murder after fatal Dagenham assault
- 9 Former child refugee who founded Barking women's service up for award
- 10 Parkrun returns to east London: Where can you join in?