Dagenham named UK’s burglary hotspot
- Credit: Archant
Dagenham has been named the UK’s burglary hotspot, with the highest rate of insurance claims in the country.
Over the past two years, 55 out of every 1,000 insurance quotes in the RM8 postcode have made a burglary claim, according to price comparison site MoneySuperMarket.
An annual study found 14 of the top 20 postcode areas for claims were in London, with Gants Hill, Newbury Park, Hornchurch and Ardleigh Green also featuring high on the list.
Kevin Pratt, home insurance expert at MoneySuperMarket, said: “Our annual Burglary Claims Tracker reveals the nation’s burglary claim hotspots, and once again London and Greater London postcodes dominate.”
According to the study, over half of those burgled, or who knew a burglary victim, admitted to lasting effects – the most common being paranoia about their safety at home – while one in eight never recover emotionally.
Mark Castle, chief executive of the charity Victim Support said: “As a charity that supports thousands of burglary victims each year, we know how devastating an impact this crime can have and we are here to help.
“Victims tell us that they suffer far more than material loss when their home is burgled - the psychological impact of this crime can be drastic, long lasting and different for everyone.”
- 1 Barking Market extended to 'ease antisocial behaviour'
- 2 Dagenham mum says council is 'neglecting daughters' health'
- 3 Dagenham pub to host inaugural local Christmas fair
- 4 Thousands watch Barking Christmas lights switch-on
- 5 Plans to cut up to 600 Tube station jobs amid TfL 'funding crisis'
- 6 'Devastated' friends need £36k to help mum with bowel cancer
- 7 Festive events and family days out in east London this weekend
- 8 Student nurse charged with alleged rape
- 9 'It's the right time': Dame Margaret Hodge on not seeking re-election
- 10 Councillors visit Ben Kinsella Trust anti-knife crime exhibition