Fined: Dagenham shop owner who sold cigarettes to a 14-year-old child
- Credit: Google
A Dagenham shop owner has been fined £950 for selling cigarettes to a 14-year-old child.
Ecevit Orman, from Ottoman Stores in Reede Road, faced prosecution after a member of staff sold a packet of ten Mayfair cigarettes to a 14-year-old.
The sale took place during a routine Trading Standards test purchase operation on March 2.
Orman appeared at Barkingside Magistrates Court on Friday, November 10 where he was charged in relation to the Children and Young Persons Act 1993.
The court judged the premises to have no training or systems in place to prevent the sale of age restricted products.
You may also want to watch:
Councillor Laila Butt, cabinet member for enforcement and community safety, said: “This is a message we want businesses to hear loud and clear. We welcome businesses but will not tolerate any retailers selling cigarettes to children under the age of 18.”
- 1 Marvel movie blockbuster Black Widow filmed in Dagenham
- 2 Man in hospital after being found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 3 Storage building next to disused Dagenham pub destroyed by fire
- 4 Dagenham man sentenced after flying kick at cop during Black Lives Matter demo
- 5 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 6 Tube strike suspended to allow for further talks
- 7 Teenage pedestrian in hospital after Dagenham crash
- 8 Man, 19, stabbed in thigh in Dagenham
- 9 'Blows on the hand with a strap': The story of Barking's women jute weavers
- 10 Man charged with murder after fatal Dagenham assault