Fined: Dagenham shop owner who sold cigarettes to a 14-year-old child
- Credit: Google
A Dagenham shop owner has been fined £950 for selling cigarettes to a 14-year-old child.
Ecevit Orman, from Ottoman Stores in Reede Road, faced prosecution after a member of staff sold a packet of ten Mayfair cigarettes to a 14-year-old.
The sale took place during a routine Trading Standards test purchase operation on March 2.
Orman appeared at Barkingside Magistrates Court on Friday, November 10 where he was charged in relation to the Children and Young Persons Act 1993.
The court judged the premises to have no training or systems in place to prevent the sale of age restricted products.
You may also want to watch:
Councillor Laila Butt, cabinet member for enforcement and community safety, said: “This is a message we want businesses to hear loud and clear. We welcome businesses but will not tolerate any retailers selling cigarettes to children under the age of 18.”
- 1 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA seat and Thames by-election
- 2 Man stabbed in front of son, 12, in 'unprovoked, violent' attack in Barking
- 3 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 4 Appeal to help find missing girl who may be in Dagenham, Ilford or Stratford
- 5 'Woke rubbish': Losing candidate on stir over 'unspellable' names comment
- 6 Chadwell Heath woman fined after not reporting Iron Age coin find
- 7 Jailed: Man whose drunken knife attack left one dead and woman injured at Dagenham dinner party
- 8 Meet the candidates battling for votes in the Thames ward by-election
- 9 Barking shisha bar was wrongly shut down for Covid breaches, owner claims
- 10 Guilty: 'Depraved' rapist who targeted and robbed lone women at night