Daughter’s shock as dad, 60, killed in Dagenham fight days before Christmas
- Credit: Archant
These are the first pictures of grandad Clemuth Roberts who was killed in a fight yesterday, just days before Christmas.
The 60-year-old, who lived in Valence Wood Road, died after being attacked in Stanhope Road just before 1pm.
His eldest child, Simone Roberts, told the Post that her dad, who was better known as Clem, enjoyed reggae music, playing cricket in Mayesbrook Park and spending time with his six children and 14 grandchildren.
“He was my king and very protective of his kids,” she explained.
“He loved having his grandchildren and always took the boys over to the cricket club.”
You may also want to watch:
Simone, who was due to celebrate her 38th birthday at a family party on Friday, says now “everything is cancelled, even Christmas”.
She was near Stanhope Road when she received a call to say her dad had been hurt, and rushed to the crime scene – but by the time she arrived Clem had already died.
- 1 Work to begin on river bus pier at Barking Riverside
- 2 Teenage pedestrian in hospital after Dagenham crash
- 3 Work begins on £1.8m arts centre transformation in Barking
- 4 Ricardo Fuller death: Third man charged with murder
- 5 Man, 19, stabbed in thigh in Dagenham
- 6 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 7 Man praises community spirit after flood water threatens homes in Dagenham
- 8 Parkrun returns to east London: Where can you join in?
- 9 Murder investigation in Dagenham after man dies in street
- 10 Man charged with murder after fatal Dagenham assault
“I’m in shock, my dad has gone forever,” she said. “My dad didn’t deserve to die this way.”
Simone said the close-knit family had been left feeling “very angry” about what happened.
Clem emigrated to England from the West Indies with his parents when he was 17 and worked as a mechanic and, more recently, as a courier.
His sister, who still lives in the Caribbean, is flying to London to be with the family.
Police have launched a murder investigation, with police still on the scene today to carry out forensic enquiries.
A 14-year-old girl, a 17-year-old boy and 20-year-old man were arrested on suspicion of murder yesterday.
Did you know Clem? Leave a tribute by emailing email@example.com or call 020 8477 3981.