Daughter’s shock as dad, 60, killed in Dagenham fight days before Christmas
- Credit: Archant
These are the first pictures of grandad Clemuth Roberts who was killed in a fight yesterday, just days before Christmas.
The 60-year-old, who lived in Valence Wood Road, died after being attacked in Stanhope Road just before 1pm.
His eldest child, Simone Roberts, told the Post that her dad, who was better known as Clem, enjoyed reggae music, playing cricket in Mayesbrook Park and spending time with his six children and 14 grandchildren.
“He was my king and very protective of his kids,” she explained.
“He loved having his grandchildren and always took the boys over to the cricket club.”
You may also want to watch:
Simone, who was due to celebrate her 38th birthday at a family party on Friday, says now “everything is cancelled, even Christmas”.
She was near Stanhope Road when she received a call to say her dad had been hurt, and rushed to the crime scene – but by the time she arrived Clem had already died.
- 1 Fines for Havering landlords who put Dagenham tenants 'in danger'
- 2 Watch the moment Dagenham man attacks police officer with sword
- 3 Meet the singer drawing global audiences to her Barking living room
- 4 Survey asks women where they feel unsafe in Barking and Dagenham
- 5 Images released of man in connection with robbery on train from Barking
- 6 Vaisakhi observed with ceremony at Barking Town Hall
- 7 'Terrifying' CCTV footage shows vandals take axes to cars of NHS workers
- 8 Barking fishmongers shut down by council after Covid-19 safety warning
- 9 RSPCA appeal over video of dog 'carried' by collar in Dagenham
- 10 Council denies Barking mum's claim that it took hours to respond to flood
“I’m in shock, my dad has gone forever,” she said. “My dad didn’t deserve to die this way.”
Simone said the close-knit family had been left feeling “very angry” about what happened.
Clem emigrated to England from the West Indies with his parents when he was 17 and worked as a mechanic and, more recently, as a courier.
His sister, who still lives in the Caribbean, is flying to London to be with the family.
Police have launched a murder investigation, with police still on the scene today to carry out forensic enquiries.
A 14-year-old girl, a 17-year-old boy and 20-year-old man were arrested on suspicion of murder yesterday.
Did you know Clem? Leave a tribute by emailing email@example.com or call 020 8477 3981.