Deliberate night-time street fires hit Barking town centre
Police were called in by emergency fire crews after vandals set light to dumped furniture and rubbish bins in a series of deliberate incidents across Barking during the night.
Barking fire station was called to tackle 10 incidents which began at 1.30am when a bin was torched behind the former police station in the town centre.
Now the Fire Brigade is appealing to householders not to dump furniture in the street which causes a potential public danger.
“We were tackling one blaze when we came across another four,” said fire station watch manager Darren Barnett.
“It went on all night until 4am and we had to alert the police that the fires were being started deliberately.”
You may also want to watch:
The fire-raising diverts essential services and depletes resources on standby to cover real emergencies, the fire authority points out.
Householders are being urged to call the council to have old furniture and household goods removed.
- 1 Appeal for help to find boy missing from Dagenham
- 2 Barking fishmongers shut down by council after Covid-19 safety warning
- 3 Call to change 'cash cow' yellow box junction in Marks Gate
- 4 'Terrifying' CCTV footage shows vandals take axes to cars of NHS workers
- 5 Barking and Dagenham pubs and bars reopen for outdoor service
- 6 Jailed: Dagenham man for role in 'brutal' attack on off-duty police officer
- 7 Jailed: ‘Extremely dangerous’ Dagenham man who plotted terrorist attack
- 8 Police officer sacked after 'encouraging friend to lie about collision'
- 9 Becontree Estate designed after Spanish Flu 'helped prevent Covid deaths'
- 10 Light festival sees cyclists brighten up Barking and Dagenham streets
“The dumping is a temptation to vandals,” Watch Manager Barnett added. “The worst problem is old mattresses being left in the streets.”
The spate of fires spread through the night to the Gasgoine estate where firefighters tackled bins and mattresses alight in Cook Street, Weavers Cross and Dovehouse Mead. Worst affected area was outside Oban House where dumped mattresses had been set on fire.
Now fire crews are damping down abandoned items in the streets even if they’re not alight, such as old mattresses, sideboards and bed-frames, as a routine precaution to reduce fire risk.