Dog survives shocking 30ft plunge through closed fifth floor window in Dagenham
Neighbours have spoken of their shock after seeing a puppy smash through a glass window on the fifth floor of a block of flats, fall at least 30ft and survive.
Lucy, a 10-month-old Staffordshire bull terrier, plunged from a flat in Stour Road, Dagenham, at 4.30pm on Monday of last week and landed on a tarmac roof.
Remarkably the dog suffered only a cut to its back and bruised legs and is set to make a full recovery.
A resident on the second floor told the Post: “I was at my window smoking a cigarette when I heard an almighty smash and then I saw a dog falling from above.
“I watched as it landed on the roof, bounced up and landed again.
“Amazingly, it got up but looked quite distressed and was limping. I rang the police and the RSPCA and other residents ran to help it. I was sure it would have to be put down.”
Police Sergeant Ian Lee said: “The dog was taken to a vet in Essex where she is doing well. We are very pleased that she is going to make a full recovery.”
- 1 Dagenham man in court over Zara Aleena murder
- 2 More than 300 homes finished at Beam Park as council leader visits
- 3 Jailed: Hornchurch man found with weapons in Dagenham
- 4 Man taken to hospital after fight reported on Heathway in Dagenham
- 5 Man charged after staff assault at Barking Asda
- 6 Man in critical condition after staff assault at Barking Asda
- 7 Series of failures sees Met Police placed under special measures
- 8 Council U-turn on plan to 'decommission' supported housing scheme
- 9 Firefighter retires after cancer diagnosis
- 10 Census 2021: What has changed in your borough since 2011?
The witness, who asked not to be named, said: “It was a really horrible thing to see. You wouldn’t think an animal could survive that.”
He added that many of his neighbours were shocked by the incident.
“People couldn’t believe what happened,” he said. “They found it very upsetting but were also relieved to hear that it’s going to be OK.”
An RSPCA spokesman said: “This is a horrendous incident. The dog would have suffered terribly and is very lucky to be alive.”
Daniel Harris, 24, of Stour Road, Dagenham, has been charged with animal cruelty and was bailed to attend Barkingside Magistrates’ Court on Monday.