Domestic violence update: Officers make 44 arrests in Barking and Dagenham
Police made 44 arrests in a clampdown on domestic violence - the biggest number in an individual London borough.
Officers carried out dawn raids last week in a bid to apprehend prolific and dangerous offenders and alleviate the suffering of domestic violence victims.
Barking and Dagenham had the highest incidence of domestic violence in London last year.
The crackdown named Operation Athena led to more than 300 arrests in the capital.
A Met police spokesman said: “The arrest total in connection with Operation Athena for Barking and Dagenham was 44.
You may also want to watch:
“Throughout the Metropolitan Police area Barking and Dagenham borough had the highest Athena arrest total.”
- 1 Barking butcher 'thankful' for loyal customers through pandemic
- 2 Butcher fined £40k for selling 'poor quality chicken'
- 3 Former council offices to be transformed into 'workspace and cultural hub'
- 4 Dagenham school receives Unicef UK award
- 5 Things to do: Explore east London this weekend
- 6 Barking and Dagenham Council chief executive to depart
- 7 Indian restaurants in Barking and Dagenham, recommended by readers
- 8 Stephen Port victims' delayed inquest set to begin in Barking
- 9 Man in 50s stabbed in Barking
- 10 Hospitality Day: Barking and Dagenham's favourite cafe, pub and restaurant revealed