Domestic violence update: Officers make 44 arrests in Barking and Dagenham
Police made 44 arrests in a clampdown on domestic violence - the biggest number in an individual London borough.
Officers carried out dawn raids last week in a bid to apprehend prolific and dangerous offenders and alleviate the suffering of domestic violence victims.
Barking and Dagenham had the highest incidence of domestic violence in London last year.
The crackdown named Operation Athena led to more than 300 arrests in the capital.
A Met police spokesman said: “The arrest total in connection with Operation Athena for Barking and Dagenham was 44.
“Throughout the Metropolitan Police area Barking and Dagenham borough had the highest Athena arrest total.”
- 1 Dagenham cafe fined almost £2k following waste disposal dispute
- 2 Barking resident charged over death of baby boy
- 3 'Something is going on': Second dead rabbit found in a week
- 4 Car park murder: Witness describes moment John Avers was run over
- 5 Dodgy landlord ordered to pay £64k over illegal HMO on Ripple Road
- 6 Plan B measures to be scrapped across England
- 7 Man hospitalised after being found in Mayesbrook Park
- 8 'Government should rethink their plans': Masks still required on TfL
- 9 ‘It is not tolerated’: CCTV images released after West Ham game disorder
- 10 An afternoon you will remember: Alcohol-free comedy club returns to east London