Driving instructors in the dock
A GANG of dishonest driving instructors and test examiners took �1,000 bribes to pass failed candidates in Barking, a court heard.
Nick Madigan, 38, of Kitkatts Road, Canvey Island, Essex and a second 47-year-old examiner, who cannot be named, handed learners test certificates, sometimes without even taking them out on the road.
Instructors Salima Rashid, 49, Sofia Rasool, 40, and Jasvinder Rai, 36, allegedly put forward learners, including a police community support officer, who were willing to pay to secure passes.
Snaresbrook Crown Court heard a shady group of ‘introducers’ approached candidates after they had just failed their practical driving tests at the centre on Tanner Street.
Rashid, of St George’s Avenue, Grays, Essex; Rasool, of London Road, Barking, Essex, and Rai, of The Belfry, Clifford Road, Chafford Hundred, Grays, all deny conspiracy to commit bribery between January 1 2007 and June 30 last year.
You may also want to watch:
The trial continues
- 1 Barking butcher 'thankful' for loyal customers through pandemic
- 2 Butcher fined £40k for selling 'poor quality chicken'
- 3 Former council offices to be transformed into 'workspace and cultural hub'
- 4 Dagenham school receives Unicef UK award
- 5 Barking and Dagenham Council chief executive to depart
- 6 Things to do: Explore east London this weekend
- 7 Indian restaurants in Barking and Dagenham, recommended by readers
- 8 Major train disruption and cancellations through Barking via Rainham
- 9 Stephen Port victims' delayed inquest set to begin in Barking
- 10 Man in 50s stabbed in Barking