East Londoners are being targeted by violent blackmail phone calls
- Credit: Archant
People in east London are being threatened over the phone by an unidentified man who is blackmailing them for money.
Police are looking into reports that the man is contacting individuals and their families.
He threatens them with violence if they do not pay large sums of money to him. A man has been charged in connection with the investigation
Detective Constable Michael Beskine said: “The man’s method is frightening. He obtains the personal details of his victims and then calls them whilst disguising his telephone number as the numbers of his victims' friends and family to trick his victims into answering the phone.
"He tells his victims their addresses, their family member's names and other facts to scare them, before demanding money and threatening them with acts of violence."
An initial investigation identified one group of victims in east London and another group of victims in Bedfordshire.
If you are a victim, call police on 101 or Tweet @MetCC quoting Cad 3849/12FEB21.
- 1 'Appallingly dirty' Dagenham shop doubling up as 'substandard' hotel
- 2 Woman seeks long lost relatives who may be in Dagenham
- 3 Man arrested in east London for terrorist offences
- 4 Council failed to investigate woman's concern of 'cancer cluster'
- 5 Eight arrests after stabbing in Barking
- 6 Appeal to find Barking mother-of-two who went missing in 2017
- 7 Man, 20, found stabbed in Chadwell Heath
- 8 Upminster killer boasted about hacking teen to death with machete in street
- 9 Dagenham man sentenced to life for 'brutal' knife attack murder
- 10 Tributes to 'deeply spiritual' Barking priest following death from cancer