Family of Chadwell Heath woman accused of kidnapping her boyfriend
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
A Chadwell Heath woman’s family kidnapped her boyfriend the day before their planned wedding after she fled an arranged marriage, a court heard.
Nursery nurse Paveet Landa, 20, ran away from her home in King Avenue, Chadwell Heath, with her boyfriend Ramanjit Singh, to avoid an arranged marriage, a jury at Isleworth Crown Court were told on Thursday.
She told police she knew her family would not accept her him because he was from a different caste, was from India and could not speak English.
After she fled, her father Balvinder Singh, mother Rani Landa and brother Lakhanpal searched for Mr Singh, finding him at a Sikh temple in Southall where he was attempting to book the wedding the following day in August last year.
They imprisoned him but he later broke free, the jury heard.
The following day the three family members joined other relatives to allegedly kidnap Ms Landa’s friend Harjinder Singh at knifepoint in a bid to find out where she was.
Ms Landa, who later married Ramanjit, said her family had arranged for her to marry another man, Vikram Shari.
- 1 Company fined in court over builder's skips in Dagenham and Chadwell Heath
- 2 Ilford man has van crushed, given curfew for Barking and Dagenham fly-tips
- 3 Tossed cigarette in Chadwell Heath costs Beckton man almost £400
- 4 Maskless passengers on London trains and buses fined 4,000 times
- 5 Dagenham man fined within hours of fly-tipping at bus stop
- 6 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 7 Dagenham man jailed for 12 years for punching to death Marius Lakavicius
- 8 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 9 Covid: Weekly admissions halve as patient counts drop to July 2021 levels
- 10 Dagenham and West Ham accused in court after drugs raids
Balvinder Singh, 42, Rani Landa, 42, and Lakhanpal Landa, 21, are charged with falsely imprisoning Ramanjit Singh on August 30.
They have also been charged with kidnapping Harjinder Singh by force the following day. Relatives Hemat Landa, 40, Chamkh Singh, 42, Kamaljit Singh, 33, and a 16-year-old who cannot be named face the same charge.
Balvinder Singh is also accused of making a threat to kill Harjinder Singh and unlawful possession of a knife.
All the defendants pleaded not guilty. The trial continues.