Family of Chadwell Heath woman accused of kidnapping her boyfriend
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
A Chadwell Heath woman’s family kidnapped her boyfriend the day before their planned wedding after she fled an arranged marriage, a court heard.
Nursery nurse Paveet Landa, 20, ran away from her home in King Avenue, Chadwell Heath, with her boyfriend Ramanjit Singh, to avoid an arranged marriage, a jury at Isleworth Crown Court were told on Thursday.
She told police she knew her family would not accept her him because he was from a different caste, was from India and could not speak English.
After she fled, her father Balvinder Singh, mother Rani Landa and brother Lakhanpal searched for Mr Singh, finding him at a Sikh temple in Southall where he was attempting to book the wedding the following day in August last year.
They imprisoned him but he later broke free, the jury heard.
You may also want to watch:
The following day the three family members joined other relatives to allegedly kidnap Ms Landa’s friend Harjinder Singh at knifepoint in a bid to find out where she was.
Ms Landa, who later married Ramanjit, said her family had arranged for her to marry another man, Vikram Shari.
- 1 Man in 50s stabbed in Barking
- 2 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 3 New community food club set to open in Barking and Dagenham
- 4 New CCTV footage in connection with 2017 fatal stabbing of Joshua Bwalya
- 5 Two men stabbed and a third slashed during We Are FSTVL
- 6 Chadwell Heath station assault witness appeal
- 7 The tea room in a country park 'building a community' in Dagenham
- 8 Dagenham boss McMahon 'can't wait' for test against big spenders Wrexham
- 9 Barking and Dagenham, Newham named priority areas by Arts Council
- 10 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
Balvinder Singh, 42, Rani Landa, 42, and Lakhanpal Landa, 21, are charged with falsely imprisoning Ramanjit Singh on August 30.
They have also been charged with kidnapping Harjinder Singh by force the following day. Relatives Hemat Landa, 40, Chamkh Singh, 42, Kamaljit Singh, 33, and a 16-year-old who cannot be named face the same charge.
Balvinder Singh is also accused of making a threat to kill Harjinder Singh and unlawful possession of a knife.
All the defendants pleaded not guilty. The trial continues.