Family of Chadwell Heath woman accused of kidnapping her boyfriend
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
A Chadwell Heath woman’s family kidnapped her boyfriend the day before their planned wedding after she fled an arranged marriage, a court heard.
Nursery nurse Paveet Landa, 20, ran away from her home in King Avenue, Chadwell Heath, with her boyfriend Ramanjit Singh, to avoid an arranged marriage, a jury at Isleworth Crown Court were told on Thursday.
She told police she knew her family would not accept her him because he was from a different caste, was from India and could not speak English.
After she fled, her father Balvinder Singh, mother Rani Landa and brother Lakhanpal searched for Mr Singh, finding him at a Sikh temple in Southall where he was attempting to book the wedding the following day in August last year.
They imprisoned him but he later broke free, the jury heard.
You may also want to watch:
The following day the three family members joined other relatives to allegedly kidnap Ms Landa’s friend Harjinder Singh at knifepoint in a bid to find out where she was.
Ms Landa, who later married Ramanjit, said her family had arranged for her to marry another man, Vikram Shari.
- 1 Jo Richardson pupils offered 'hug in a mug' in lockdown
- 2 Views sought on next stage of Gascoigne Estate's redevelopment
- 3 Tributes to 'much-loved' volunteer with a passion for Dagenham history
- 4 Tot with cancer enjoys 'brilliant' fun day outside home in Dagenham
- 5 London mayoral candidate 'fined' after digital campaign bus visits Dagenham
- 6 Is the Becontree estate in Barking and Dagenham really a Covid hotspot?
- 7 Charity's 10 years of teaching safe travel to vulnerable young people
- 8 Barking and Dagenham's Holocaust Memorial Day plans unveiled
- 9 Dagenham fall to heavy defeat at Eastleigh
- 10 'Help people find moments of beauty within the trauma': BHRUT chaplain supports staff during pandemic
Balvinder Singh, 42, Rani Landa, 42, and Lakhanpal Landa, 21, are charged with falsely imprisoning Ramanjit Singh on August 30.
They have also been charged with kidnapping Harjinder Singh by force the following day. Relatives Hemat Landa, 40, Chamkh Singh, 42, Kamaljit Singh, 33, and a 16-year-old who cannot be named face the same charge.
Balvinder Singh is also accused of making a threat to kill Harjinder Singh and unlawful possession of a knife.
All the defendants pleaded not guilty. The trial continues.