Fire devastates Northbury Primary School garden in Barking
- Credit: Archant
Children and teachers have been left devastated after their prize garden went up in flames.
Fourteen firefighters were called to tackle the blaze at Northbury Primary School, Barking, shortly after midnight on Friday morning. The fire, which took firefighters half an hour to bring under control, destroyed the greenhouse and shed along with thousands of pounds worth of gardening equipment.
Assistant headteacher at the Northbury Close school, Kulvinder Juhal, admitted she was still shaken after the blaze. “I’ve been in tears again today,” she said. “We were all shocked when we found out, the children have been really upset too.”
Pupils will have to miss out on their usual gardening clubs for weeks after their level five Royal Horticultural Society patch was destroyed.
“I’ve been here for 25 years and we have never had anything like this,” added Kulvinder. “I didn’t expect anything like this.”
You may also want to watch:
The Met has not yet confirmed whether the incident is being treated as arson.
- 1 RSPCA appeal over video of dog 'carried' by collar in Dagenham
- 2 Barking fishmongers shut down by council after Covid-19 safety warning
- 3 Images released of man in connection with robbery on train from Barking
- 4 'Terrifying' CCTV footage shows vandals take axes to cars of NHS workers
- 5 Council denies Barking mum's claim that it took hours to respond to flood
- 6 Appeal for help to find boy missing from Dagenham
- 7 Fines for Havering landlords who put Dagenham tenants 'in danger'
- 8 Call to change 'cash cow' yellow box junction in Marks Gate
- 9 Jailed: Dagenham man for role in 'brutal' attack on off-duty police officer
- 10 Dagenham charity set up in memory of 'unique' man offers help to youngsters