Suspected drugs den believed to be used by dealers and prostitutes is closed down
- Credit: Archant
A flat above shops in Dagenham that was suspected of being used by prostitutes and drug dealers has been closed down following a catalogue of complaints from neighbours and traders.
Police and Barking and Dagenham Council were granted a closure order for the property at 24A Whalebone Lane, which was also a magnet for other criminal activity and begging.
Barkingside Magistrates Court granted the three-month long order after officers uncovered evidence that backed the complaints they had received.
Anyone who breaks the order by entering the property can be fined or jailed.
Councillor Margaret Mullane, cabinet member for enforcement and community safety, said: “This is an excellent result and I’m really pleased that the courts have finally deemed it fit to shut down this building. The criminal behaviour taking place was completely unacceptable and had a really negative effect on local residents and businesses in this area.
You may also want to watch:
“The property closure sends out a crystal clear message: we won’t tolerate criminal and anti-social behaviour in Barking and Dagenham and if you do it, we will come after you.
“I would like to appeal to our residents that when such things are reported to us, the process from investigation, court proceedings to a final judgement could take anything from six months and upwards. So bear with us, we will get the desired result in the end.”
- 1 RSPCA appeal over video of dog 'carried' by collar in Dagenham
- 2 Barking fishmongers shut down by council after Covid-19 safety warning
- 3 Images released of man in connection with robbery on train from Barking
- 4 'Terrifying' CCTV footage shows vandals take axes to cars of NHS workers
- 5 Council denies Barking mum's claim that it took hours to respond to flood
- 6 Appeal for help to find boy missing from Dagenham
- 7 Fines for Havering landlords who put Dagenham tenants 'in danger'
- 8 Call to change 'cash cow' yellow box junction in Marks Gate
- 9 Jailed: Dagenham man for role in 'brutal' attack on off-duty police officer
- 10 Dagenham charity set up in memory of 'unique' man offers help to youngsters
The property is owned by a charity that will take back possession.