Fly-tipper fined after CCTV captures him red-handed in Barking
- Credit: Archant
A brazen fly-tipper has been prosecuted after cameras caught him red-handed dumping a sofa and other rubbish on the street.
Camille Messanvi was more than 11 miles away from his home in Bridlington Road, Edmonton, when he was seen on CCTV fly-tipping a beige two-seater sofa and assorted rubbish outside the Big Yellow Storage company in Hertford Road, Barking.
He admitted the offence after being shown the footage by Barking and Dagenham Council and, on October 4, 46-year-old Messanvi was fined £250 and ordered to pay £325 in costs after pleading guilty at Romford Magistrates Court.
Cllr Jeanne Alexander, cabinet member for crime, justice and communities, thanked the storage company for contacting them with the footage taken at 10.50pm on June 9.
She added: “This case is an excellent example of how councils and local businesses can work together to fight the crime and anti-social behaviour that blights communities.
You may also want to watch:
In the footage Massanvi’s van is seen being loading up with the sofa and various other items at the storage company before it was driven out of the car park and parked next to a fence.
There the occupants got out, dumped the contents on the side of the road and drove off.
- 1 Man, 19, stabbed in thigh in Dagenham
- 2 Clean up continues after flooding across Barking and Dagenham
- 3 Man charged with murder after fatal Dagenham assault
- 4 Murder investigation in Dagenham after man dies in street
- 5 Manager celebrates 25 years working for supermarket
- 6 Dagenham set to sign youngster Aaron Blair as McQueen to go out on loan
- 7 College student selected as national finalist with pearly king photo series
- 8 Deadline looming to comment on proposed constituency changes
- 9 Arts centre in Barking selects artists for Black Art Matters project
- 10 Dagenham 88 Runners returned to parkrun action and tackled ELVIS race
A DVLA search by the council led them to Massanvi.
“If any other businesses find they have CCTV footage of fly-tipping, or any other act of anti-social behaviour, we would be very pleased to hear from them,” said Cllr Alexander.
Witnesses can report fly-tipping to the Street Warden service through Barking and Dagenham Direct on 020 8215 3000 or using the fly-tipping report form at lbbd.gov.uk.