Teenagers tortured 16-year-old girl in 10-hour ordeal broadcast on Snapchat
- Credit: Archant
Two teenagers forced a 16-year-old girl swallow her own vomit while torturing her for 10 hours in a “humiliating” ordeal that was broadcast on Snapchat.
The victim was held hostage inside a 24-hour supported living facility in Barking and Dagenham by Chyane Stephenson-Dielhenn, 18, from Islington, and her 16-year-old accomplice, from Tower Hamlets, Snaresbrook Crown Court heard.
The pair forced their victim to snort a salt and tea bag mixture, swallow her own vomit and eat noodles soaked in urine from a bowl on the floor.
They tied the girl up, punched her and told that if she tried to escape they would kill her and her family during the attack on March 4 this year.
Jurors were shown clips, some filmed by Stephenson-Dielhenn, which illustrated the “cruel and sickening attack”.
You may also want to watch:
Instead of raising the alarm, the recipients of the Snapchat videos sent in suggestions about what the girls should do to their victim next.
Prosecutor James Thacker said: “This was nothing other than a wicked and despicable attack over a period of up to 10 hours.
- 1 Woman brightens up Barking and Dagenham with colourful crochet creations
- 2 'Strong, united community' hailed as plans for hotel in Barking withdrawn
- 3 Appeal for help as girl, 17, reported missing from Dagenham
- 4 Bobby Moore's daughter visits Upney buildings to be named after footballers
- 5 Walk-in Covid-19 jab events for all adults to be held in Barking
- 6 Three men found stabbed after alleged brawl in Dagenham
- 7 TfL admits wrongly charging supercar driver almost £1k in emission fees
- 8 Exhibition launches to celebrate 100 years of Becontree Estate
- 9 RuPaul's Drag Race UK star Bimini Bon Boulash makes Covid-19 jabs call at London Stadium pop-up clinic
- 10 Entries open for Barking and Dagenham talent contest
“The victim was assaulted and detained against her will and told if she left then her life and the lives of her family would be in danger. Some of the degradation was filmed on a phone. The victim was hit and she was bleeding and no help was given to her.”
He added that the victim was only able to escape when Stephenson-Dielhenn ordered her to take a shower and she bolted to reception.
“She saw her chance,” he said. “She was seen by [a member of staff] who had never seen anything like what he saw that day. The victim was extremely frightened and sought refuge under a desk in the office.”
The 16-year-old, who cannot be named for legal reasons, admitted false imprisonment and assault in July.
The court heard she had eight previous convictions for crimes including criminal damage, battery, robbery and theft.
This was Stephenson-Dielhenn’s first offence. She denied the charges but was found guilty of false imprisonment and assault occasioning actual bodily harm following a five-day trial last month.
Defence barrister Stephen Donnelly said Chyane was “remorseful’ and “had reflected on how her actions have affected the life of the victim.”
Sentencing the pair yesterday, Recorder Shaun Murphy said: “The victim is scarred mentally and physically and this has caused her nightmares that still continue.”
Stephenson-Dielhenn was jailed for three years in a youth prison.
Her co-defendant received a two-and-a-half year sentence in a young offenders institute.
Elaine Cousins, from the Crown Prosecution Service, said: “This was an unprovoked, cruel and sickening attack on an innocent young girl. The behaviour displayed was sadistic.
“Stephenson-Dielhenn and her co-defendant egged each other on and took pleasure in controlling, humiliating and degrading the young victim. The victim was left understandably terrified and psychologically scarred. I would like to commend her for her bravery in reporting this crime.”
A spokesman for the supported living facility, which is council-funded but managed by an outside provider, said: “Following the incident we conducted a thorough investigation and this concluded that our staff acted appropriately and followed procedures once we became aware of the incident.”
A spokesman for Barking and Dagenham Council said: “Now the trial has concluded, we will review all the evidence from the court case to enable us work with our partners to see if further action is needed.”