Grandad’s horror as biker crashes into hallway of Dagenham home
- Credit: Archant
A grandad has told of his shock after a motorbike smashed through the front door of his house.
David Thomas had just returned home from work when the biker came off the road and burst through into the hallway of his house in Oval Road North, Dagenham at about 6.45pm last night.
The BMW bike, which was reported as stolen three weeks ago, ripped out the doorframe, tore down a fencepost and smashed a window.
David, 61, rushed from his kitchen to see the rider flee the scene – leaving behind the bike and one of his trainers – but his face was obscured by his black and white crash helmet.
He believes “it was just by the grace of God” that no-one was hurt – particularly as his one-year-old granddaughter and three-year-old grandson are often in the house around that time.
You may also want to watch:
“The grandchildren could have been killed – it was the time my daughter normally picks them up,” David, who works in promotions, said. “He [the biker] could have come straight through the front room window. It sounded like a bomb.”
David’s wife was so upset that she went to stay with family while he admitted that he too was suffering with shock.
- 1 Marvel movie blockbuster Black Widow filmed in Dagenham
- 2 Man in hospital after being found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 3 Storage building next to disused Dagenham pub destroyed by fire
- 4 Dagenham man sentenced after flying kick at cop during Black Lives Matter demo
- 5 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 6 Tube strike suspended to allow for further talks
- 7 Hospital visitors urged to take Covid lateral flow tests
- 8 Teenage pedestrian in hospital after Dagenham crash
- 9 Man, 19, stabbed in thigh in Dagenham
- 10 Man charged with murder after fatal Dagenham assault
It is thought that the biker drove over the speed bump on Review Road at pace and hit the accelerator rather than the brake, launching him into the house.
David – who had to pay £350 to board up the property – now hopes to track down the biker, who he believes must have been injured in the crash.
“If he’s that badly hurt he’s more than likely to be lying in a ditch somewhere,” he said.
Police attended the scene but no arrests have been made.