Immigration officers leave Barking bar red-faced after mistaken sweep for illegal workers
- Credit: Alex Shaw
Immigration officers walked out of a Barking bar red in the face after a mistaken search for illegal workers.
Around half a dozen officers were seen entering the Kings Lounge pub in Linton Road shortly around midday on Tuesday.
They left empty-handed less than 15 minutes later, much to the annoyance of staff.
Flanked by officers stood behind the bar and in front of the main entrance, manager Okey Nwosu called the sweep “embarrassing”.
The 45-year-old told the Post a similar search during the Christmas period also failed to root out any evidence of wrongdoing.
You may also want to watch:
A Home Office spokesman confirmed officers conducted the swift “intelligence-led visit” at the premises.
“Officers attended that morning,” he said. “No further action was taken.”
- 1 Marvel movie blockbuster Black Widow filmed in Dagenham
- 2 Dagenham man sentenced after flying kick at cop during Black Lives Matter demo
- 3 Man in hospital after being found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 4 Dagenham pastry chef wins patisserie award
- 5 Watchdog upholds 90pc of complaints against council, figures show
- 6 Storage building next to disused Dagenham pub destroyed by fire
- 7 Dagenham author pens novel to mark centenary of Becontree Estate
- 8 Data reveals house price rises in Olympic boroughs since London 2012
- 9 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 10 Barking and Dagenham and Redbridge 'least active' boroughs in London, study finds
The spokesman declined to comment on the nature of the tip-off.