Immigration officers leave Barking bar red-faced after mistaken sweep for illegal workers
- Credit: Alex Shaw
Immigration officers walked out of a Barking bar red in the face after a mistaken search for illegal workers.
Around half a dozen officers were seen entering the Kings Lounge pub in Linton Road shortly around midday on Tuesday.
They left empty-handed less than 15 minutes later, much to the annoyance of staff.
Flanked by officers stood behind the bar and in front of the main entrance, manager Okey Nwosu called the sweep “embarrassing”.
The 45-year-old told the Post a similar search during the Christmas period also failed to root out any evidence of wrongdoing.
A Home Office spokesman confirmed officers conducted the swift “intelligence-led visit” at the premises.
“Officers attended that morning,” he said. “No further action was taken.”
- 1 Illegal Dagenham puppy farm owners sentenced
- 2 Council tax rebates totalling £2m remain unclaimed, authority says
- 3 Dagenham fire families receive thousands in donated cash
- 4 London among areas where drought is declared
- 5 Item thrown from A13 bridge smashes windscreen and injures driver
- 6 Liz Truss visits Dagenham youth centre on Tory leadership campaign trail
- 7 'An incredible privilege’: Dagenham and Rainham MP Jon Cruddas on 21 years of service
- 8 ‘It’s like a warzone’: Extent of damage to Ballards Road homes on show following blaze which destroyed 14 houses
- 9 Jailed: Eight east London offenders locked up in July
- 10 Campaign launched for young people anxious about A Level and GSCE results
The spokesman declined to comment on the nature of the tip-off.