Immigration officers leave Barking bar red-faced after mistaken sweep for illegal workers
- Credit: Alex Shaw
Immigration officers walked out of a Barking bar red in the face after a mistaken search for illegal workers.
Around half a dozen officers were seen entering the Kings Lounge pub in Linton Road shortly around midday on Tuesday.
They left empty-handed less than 15 minutes later, much to the annoyance of staff.
Flanked by officers stood behind the bar and in front of the main entrance, manager Okey Nwosu called the sweep “embarrassing”.
The 45-year-old told the Post a similar search during the Christmas period also failed to root out any evidence of wrongdoing.
You may also want to watch:
A Home Office spokesman confirmed officers conducted the swift “intelligence-led visit” at the premises.
“Officers attended that morning,” he said. “No further action was taken.”
- 1 16-year-old boy stabbed in Dagenham
- 2 Dagenham MP Jon Cruddas in 'crisis' warning over local plan
- 3 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 4 Arrest after girl, 14, found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 5 Company fined £3k after supermarket in Dagenham sold booze to minor
- 6 East London police officer charged with rape
- 7 Stephen Port inquests: Dog walker recalls finding victims in churchyard
- 8 Chain of 10,000 teddies to be displayed in memory of toddler Ava
- 9 Primary pupils share Black History Month learning with mayor
- 10 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
The spokesman declined to comment on the nature of the tip-off.