Immigration officers leave Barking bar red-faced after mistaken sweep for illegal workers
- Credit: Alex Shaw
Immigration officers walked out of a Barking bar red in the face after a mistaken search for illegal workers.
Around half a dozen officers were seen entering the Kings Lounge pub in Linton Road shortly around midday on Tuesday.
They left empty-handed less than 15 minutes later, much to the annoyance of staff.
Flanked by officers stood behind the bar and in front of the main entrance, manager Okey Nwosu called the sweep “embarrassing”.
The 45-year-old told the Post a similar search during the Christmas period also failed to root out any evidence of wrongdoing.
You may also want to watch:
A Home Office spokesman confirmed officers conducted the swift “intelligence-led visit” at the premises.
“Officers attended that morning,” he said. “No further action was taken.”
- 1 Fines for Havering landlords who put Dagenham tenants 'in danger'
- 2 Watch the moment Dagenham man attacks police officer with sword
- 3 Meet the singer drawing global audiences to her Barking living room
- 4 Survey asks women where they feel unsafe in Barking and Dagenham
- 5 Images released of man in connection with robbery on train from Barking
- 6 RSPCA appeal over video of dog 'carried' by collar in Dagenham
- 7 Barking fishmongers shut down by council after Covid-19 safety warning
- 8 'Terrifying' CCTV footage shows vandals take axes to cars of NHS workers
- 9 Council denies Barking mum's claim that it took hours to respond to flood
- 10 Vaisakhi observed with ceremony at Barking Town Hall
The spokesman declined to comment on the nature of the tip-off.