Barking and Dagenham Council makes final plea for signatures for petition to save Dagenham police station
- Credit: Archant
The council are making a final plea for signatures for a petition launched by Dagenham and Rainham MP Jon Cruddas to save Dagenham police station.
The petition currently has over 2,500 signatures ahead of tomorrow’s protest outside the station at 12.30pm.
Cruddas said: “We did it before and we can do it again. Now is not the time to be cutting back on policing and I will be fighting the proposals all the way.
“Dagenham police station is the most frequently used service in the borough and while I understand cost savings need to be made, it is the residents that would feel the sting of this station closing and you can’t put a price on residents’ safety.
“I call on all everyone to sign the petition and help save this vital service – it only takes a minute but its impact could last a lifetime.”
You may also want to watch:
Council leader Darren Rodwell added: “We are sending out an SOS - save our station. I am completely opposed to any closure in our borough and will do all we can as a council to fight to keep it.
“I understand the difficult situation government cuts have put our mayor in but at a time when crime is on the rise, we need more visible policing not less and closing Dagenham police station is not going to give our residents the reassurances they need.
- 1 Three men found stabbed after alleged brawl in Dagenham
- 2 Woman organises do after Covid-19 restrictions force school in Dagenham to cancel prom
- 3 Watch out for these disruptions to your journey by road and rail this week
- 4 Ambulance stations to close and be replaced by single centre, LAS reveals
- 5 Father's Day: Fond memories of Dagenham 'gent' with 'a heart of gold'
- 6 Man wanted in criminal damage investigation
- 7 Dagenham & Redbridge interested in former Leyton Orient full-back Sam Ling
- 8 Man found stabbed in Chadwell Heath
- 9 Dagenham man banned from keeping animals after starved pony found collapsed
- 10 Barking add forward Georgie Fairhead as assistant Adam Flemming departs
“I am urging as many people as possible to sign the petition. It’s important we make sure the voice of the people of Barking and Dagenham is heard.”
You can sign the petition here http://joncruddas.org.uk/civicrm/petition/sign?sid=28&reset=1.