Dagenham ‘rogue trader’ fined for illegal cigarette stash
- Credit: LBBD
A Dagenham shopkeeper caught with an illegal cigarette stash and selling alcohol to a minor has been fined nearly £5,000.
Priteshkumar Patel, 33, who owns NC Convenience Store in Green Lane, denied owning a car inside which 2,060 illicit cigarettes were found stashed under a blanket.
Once Trading Standards officers visiting the shop on a routine inspection contacted the vehicle’s previous owner, however, Patel produced a set of keys, reportedly found on the premises, and unlocked it.
An earlier inspection in August 2016 uncovered more than 220 illegal fags and two pouches of hand-rolling tobacco, with a 15-year-old able to buy alcohol without being challeged.
Patel pleaded guilty at Barkingside Magistrates Court on December 22.
You may also want to watch:
He was ordered to pay £4,946 in fines, charges and victim surcharges.
The decision was one of many against “rogue traders who put profit ahead of people,” said Cllr Laila Butt.
- 1 Fines for Havering landlords who put Dagenham tenants 'in danger'
- 2 Watch the moment Dagenham man attacks police officer with sword
- 3 Meet the singer drawing global audiences to her Barking living room
- 4 Survey asks women where they feel unsafe in Barking and Dagenham
- 5 Images released of man in connection with robbery on train from Barking
- 6 RSPCA appeal over video of dog 'carried' by collar in Dagenham
- 7 'Terrifying' CCTV footage shows vandals take axes to cars of NHS workers
- 8 Barking fishmongers shut down by council after Covid-19 safety warning
- 9 Council denies Barking mum's claim that it took hours to respond to flood
- 10 Vaisakhi observed with ceremony at Barking Town Hall