Dagenham ‘rogue trader’ fined for illegal cigarette stash
- Credit: LBBD
A Dagenham shopkeeper caught with an illegal cigarette stash and selling alcohol to a minor has been fined nearly £5,000.
Priteshkumar Patel, 33, who owns NC Convenience Store in Green Lane, denied owning a car inside which 2,060 illicit cigarettes were found stashed under a blanket.
Once Trading Standards officers visiting the shop on a routine inspection contacted the vehicle’s previous owner, however, Patel produced a set of keys, reportedly found on the premises, and unlocked it.
An earlier inspection in August 2016 uncovered more than 220 illegal fags and two pouches of hand-rolling tobacco, with a 15-year-old able to buy alcohol without being challeged.
Patel pleaded guilty at Barkingside Magistrates Court on December 22.
You may also want to watch:
He was ordered to pay £4,946 in fines, charges and victim surcharges.
The decision was one of many against “rogue traders who put profit ahead of people,” said Cllr Laila Butt.
- 1 Barking butcher 'thankful' for loyal customers through pandemic
- 2 Butcher fined £40k for selling 'poor quality chicken'
- 3 Former council offices to be transformed into 'workspace and cultural hub'
- 4 Dagenham school receives Unicef UK award
- 5 Things to do: Explore east London this weekend
- 6 Barking and Dagenham Council chief executive to depart
- 7 Indian restaurants in Barking and Dagenham, recommended by readers
- 8 Stephen Port victims' delayed inquest set to begin in Barking
- 9 Man in 50s stabbed in Barking
- 10 Hospitality Day: Barking and Dagenham's favourite cafe, pub and restaurant revealed