Hundreds of shisha pipes seized in Dagenham smoking ban clampdown
- Credit: Archant
A shisha bar on Green Lane has been raided by the council as it fights to enforce the smoking ban.
The swoop on Empire Shisha Lounge came after they were tipped off that customers were smoking pipes in a “substantially enclosed” space.
More than 200 shisha pipes were seized and officers also issued four on-the-spot £80 fines to customers who were smoking on the premises.
Councillor Laila Butt, Cabinet Member for Enforcement and Community Protection said: “Our clampdown on illicit smoking is part of a wider drive to get tough on anyone flouting environmental law – such as the smoking ban.
“We are determined to make a cleaner, healthier and better Barking and Dagenham.”
You may also want to watch:
She added that there will be more such raids to come and said that business owners who disregard smoking regulations “will face the music”.
- 1 Barking fishmongers shut down by council after Covid-19 safety warning
- 2 Appeal for help to find boy missing from Dagenham
- 3 'Terrifying' CCTV footage shows vandals take axes to cars of NHS workers
- 4 Call to change 'cash cow' yellow box junction in Marks Gate
- 5 Jailed: Dagenham man for role in 'brutal' attack on off-duty police officer
- 6 Barking and Dagenham pubs and bars reopen for outdoor service
- 7 Council denies Barking mum's claim that it took hours to respond to flood
- 8 Police officer sacked after 'encouraging friend to lie about collision'
- 9 Jailed: ‘Extremely dangerous’ Dagenham man who plotted terrorist attack
- 10 Becontree Estate designed after Spanish Flu 'helped prevent Covid deaths'