Hundreds of shisha pipes seized in Dagenham smoking ban clampdown
- Credit: Archant
A shisha bar on Green Lane has been raided by the council as it fights to enforce the smoking ban.
The swoop on Empire Shisha Lounge came after they were tipped off that customers were smoking pipes in a “substantially enclosed” space.
More than 200 shisha pipes were seized and officers also issued four on-the-spot £80 fines to customers who were smoking on the premises.
Councillor Laila Butt, Cabinet Member for Enforcement and Community Protection said: “Our clampdown on illicit smoking is part of a wider drive to get tough on anyone flouting environmental law – such as the smoking ban.
“We are determined to make a cleaner, healthier and better Barking and Dagenham.”
You may also want to watch:
She added that there will be more such raids to come and said that business owners who disregard smoking regulations “will face the music”.
- 1 Work to begin on river bus pier at Barking Riverside
- 2 Teenage pedestrian in hospital after Dagenham crash
- 3 Work begins on £1.8m arts centre transformation in Barking
- 4 Man, 19, stabbed in thigh in Dagenham
- 5 Man praises community spirit after flood water threatens homes in Dagenham
- 6 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 7 Murder investigation in Dagenham after man dies in street
- 8 Man charged with murder after fatal Dagenham assault
- 9 Former child refugee who founded Barking women's service up for award
- 10 Parkrun returns to east London: Where can you join in?