Jailed: Dagenham man caught trying to pick-pocket tourists in Westminster
- Credit: Archant
A Dagenham man has been jailed after he was caught red-handed by undercover detectives trying to pick-pocket tourists on the tube.
Romeo Haret, of Valence Circus, was a member of a pick-pocketing gang that targeted their victims at Westminster underground station.
The 25-year-old, Loredana Pantica, 21, and Florintina Pantica, 18, both from Burton Upon Trent, were spotted following a mother and daughter by the plain clothes officers.
All three stood closely behind the victim and Florintina used a scarf to hide her hand, reach out, open the victim’s rucksack and put her hand inside.
The officers swooped in and arrested them within seconds.
You may also want to watch:
Last week at Blackfriars Crown Court they were convicted of conspiracy to steal.
Haret was jailed for 16 months and his accomplices were given a suspended prison sentence and ordered to do 180 hours community service each.
- 1 Barking fishmongers shut down by council after Covid-19 safety warning
- 2 'Terrifying' CCTV footage shows vandals take axes to cars of NHS workers
- 3 Call to change 'cash cow' yellow box junction in Marks Gate
- 4 Appeal for help to find boy missing from Dagenham
- 5 Jailed: Dagenham man for role in 'brutal' attack on off-duty police officer
- 6 Barking and Dagenham pubs and bars reopen for outdoor service
- 7 Council denies Barking mum's claim that it took hours to respond to flood
- 8 Police officer sacked after 'encouraging friend to lie about collision'
- 9 RSPCA appeal after man allegedly carries dog by collar in Dagenham
- 10 Jailed: ‘Extremely dangerous’ Dagenham man who plotted terrorist attack
PC Steven Bryan, investigating officer, said: “The sentence shows that the courts take this kind of offence very seriously.”