Jailed: Gang who assaulted and threatened to rape kidnap victim they held in Dagenham gym
- Credit: Cambridge Police
Four men responsible for kidnapping a man and assaulting him have been jailed for a total of more than 35 years.
The horrific ordeal saw the victim kidnapped from his home in Peterborough and driven to a gym in Dagenham where he was threatened with rape and assaulted.
It began on December 18 last year when the victim, a man in his 20s, heard a knock at the door.
He was greeted by two men, who claimed they were police officers and that they needed to speak to him about a matter in Ilford.
Suspecting something wasn’t right, the man told his wife to call the police and confirm the situation.
You may also want to watch:
The two men barged their way into the house, covered the victim’s head with a jumper and bundled him into the back of a Mitsubishi Warrior.
They told him that he owed them £20,000, before beating him around the head.
- 1 16-year-old boy stabbed in Dagenham
- 2 Arrest after girl, 14, found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 3 Company fined £3k after supermarket in Dagenham sold booze to minor
- 4 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 5 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
- 6 Dagenham MP Jon Cruddas in 'crisis' warning over local plan
- 7 Primary pupils share Black History Month learning with mayor
- 8 Barking and Dagenham to develop planning app in new digital tools pilot
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 Urgent call for volunteer stewards at booster jab sites
The two men who bundled the victim into the Mitsubishi were later identified as being Nigel Collins, 38, of Fremantle Road, Barkingside, and Alex Callcut, 31, of Highfield Road, Collier Row.
On Friday, they were each sentenced to 10 years in prison at Cambridge Crown Court after they were found guilty of conspiracy to kidnap.
Tyssen Newland, 36, of Treecot Drive in Leigh-on-Sea, who was waiting in the back of the car, was jailed for 14 years.
Whilst driving, the victim was assaulted, threatened and made to call members of his family to tell them they needed to pay in order to secure his release.
The group eventually arrived at The Unorthodox Gym, in Rainham Road North, Dagenham, where Ross Bright, 30, of Highfield Road, Collier Row led the group inside.
The victim was threatened with rape and constantly assaulted.
Eventually, he was eventually driven to Perth Road, in Gants Hill, where he was pushed out of the vehicle with his head still covered, wearing just shorts, a T-shirt and no shoes.
After pleading guilty to conspiracy to kidnap earlier this year, Bright was jailed for three-and-a-half years.