Jodie Chesney: Peaceful march planned in Romford to remember Dagenham teenager
- Credit: Archant
People are set to take part in a peaceful protest through Romford town centre tonight in memory of Jodie Chesney and to highlight the need for more police on the streets.
A petition is also set to be handed to Romford police station following the march.
Several hundred people are expected to meet at Fitness First in Atlanta Boulevard at 7.30pm and march through Romford to the station in Main Road.
A march organiser said: “It is so important that we stand together and stand strong to let it be known that we will not stop until things change.
“We didn’t all know Jodie personally but we cannot stop until our streets are once again safe and we prevent anything so tragic from happening again.”
You may also want to watch:
A minute’s silence is also to be held outside Barking Town Hall at 10am tomorrow (March 8).
A Barking and Dagenham Council spokesman said: “Residents can join us to show their support to Jodie’s family, and the families of everyone who has lost their life through knife crime.”
- 1 Fines for Havering landlords who put Dagenham tenants 'in danger'
- 2 Watch the moment Dagenham man attacks police officer with sword
- 3 Meet the singer drawing global audiences to her Barking living room
- 4 Survey asks women where they feel unsafe in Barking and Dagenham
- 5 Images released of man in connection with robbery on train from Barking
- 6 RSPCA appeal over video of dog 'carried' by collar in Dagenham
- 7 'Terrifying' CCTV footage shows vandals take axes to cars of NHS workers
- 8 Barking fishmongers shut down by council after Covid-19 safety warning
- 9 Council denies Barking mum's claim that it took hours to respond to flood
- 10 Vaisakhi observed with ceremony at Barking Town Hall
The Town Hall is also to be lit in purple – Jodie’s favourite colour – over the next few days.
Well-wishers have also been tying purple ribbons and balloons to trees, lampposts and fences across the borough in memory of 17-year-old Jodie.