Journalist cleared of raping woman
A TV reporter has been cleared of raping a churchgoer who was to feature on his news channel.
Ponty Tshibasu, 35, was said to have forced himself on the woman at his friend’s house. But today he was cleared of rape and attempted rape.
The journalist from Ben Television - a Tottenham-based satellite channel for Africans - had invited her to take part in a programme on ethnic minorities.
Tshibasu, of Wood Lane, Dagenham, was accused of raping the woman at a friend’s home in Seven Kings, but a jury at Snaresbrook Crown Court took 10 hours to acquit the married dad following a two-week trial.
Giving evidence he said met the woman, of Asian origin, on a number 73 bus and asked her if she would take part in a TV programme.
You may also want to watch:
Tshibasu said the woman took his business card and later telephoned to tell him she wanted to get involved in the piece on minorities in modern Britain.
They later met at a Kentucky Fried Chicken outlet in Barking, Essex, with a colleague of Tshibasu from the TV channel, the court heard.
- 1 Second blaze breaks out at White Horse pub in Chadwell Heath
- 2 More than 100 Covid dead at Queen's and King George this week
- 3 Letters: Covid rules, tenants' manifesto, Streetspace, help RAF veterans and support children's charity
- 4 Station Parade traffic curbs get green light
- 5 More than half of people in Barking and Dagenham may have had Covid, data shows
- 6 Dagenham primary scoops second mental health award
- 7 More than 100 attend first session of gangs awareness workshop run by detective
- 8 Appeal after shots fired at house in Dagenham
- 9 Have the Covid-19 vaccine when the NHS contacts you
- 10 Rapid Covid-19 test site for people without symptoms open in Dagenham
Tshibasu said he later embarked on an affair with the woman, repeatedly meeting her at her workplace at a training centre in Barking.
He admitted taking the woman to his friend’s house in Seven Kings on May 21 this year after meeting her at a Morrisons supermarket in nearby Romford.
Tshibasu said the woman agreed to have sex with him.