London riots: Barking rampage set to cost tens of thousands of pounds
Looters raided shops in Barking last night, costing businesses tens of thousands of pounds.
Yobs armed with bricks clashed with riot police, smashing windows and setting cars alight from 7pm.
Vicarage Field shopping centre in Ripple Road shut at 2.30pm today, after its Warren James jewellers and a Vodafone store were targeted by looters.
Staff at Warren James estimate tens of thousands of pounds of gold and jewellery was stolen.
Tesco in Highbridge Road and JD Sports in Ripple Road were also looted.
You may also want to watch:
Rioters smashed windows of council offices in Ripple Road and vandalised Comet and Coral bookmakers.
A Trade Local meeting expected to take place at the Spotted Dog pub in Longbridge Road, Barking, today has been cancelled.
- 1 Marvel movie blockbuster Black Widow filmed in Dagenham
- 2 Watchdog upholds 90pc of complaints against council, figures show
- 3 Dagenham pastry chef wins patisserie award
- 4 Man in hospital after being found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 5 Dagenham man sentenced after flying kick at cop during Black Lives Matter demo
- 6 Dagenham author pens novel to mark centenary of Becontree Estate
- 7 Storage building next to disused Dagenham pub destroyed by fire
- 8 Data reveals house price rises in Olympic boroughs since London 2012
- 9 Barking and Dagenham and Redbridge 'least active' boroughs in London, study finds
- 10 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?