London riots: Barking rampage set to cost tens of thousands of pounds
Looters raided shops in Barking last night, costing businesses tens of thousands of pounds.
Yobs armed with bricks clashed with riot police, smashing windows and setting cars alight from 7pm.
Vicarage Field shopping centre in Ripple Road shut at 2.30pm today, after its Warren James jewellers and a Vodafone store were targeted by looters.
Staff at Warren James estimate tens of thousands of pounds of gold and jewellery was stolen.
Tesco in Highbridge Road and JD Sports in Ripple Road were also looted.
You may also want to watch:
Rioters smashed windows of council offices in Ripple Road and vandalised Comet and Coral bookmakers.
A Trade Local meeting expected to take place at the Spotted Dog pub in Longbridge Road, Barking, today has been cancelled.
- 1 Appeal for help to find boy missing from Dagenham
- 2 Barking fishmongers shut down by council after Covid-19 safety warning
- 3 Call to change 'cash cow' yellow box junction in Marks Gate
- 4 'Terrifying' CCTV footage shows vandals take axes to cars of NHS workers
- 5 Jailed: Dagenham man for role in 'brutal' attack on off-duty police officer
- 6 Barking and Dagenham pubs and bars reopen for outdoor service
- 7 Jailed: ‘Extremely dangerous’ Dagenham man who plotted terrorist attack
- 8 Police officer sacked after 'encouraging friend to lie about collision'
- 9 Becontree Estate designed after Spanish Flu 'helped prevent Covid deaths'
- 10 London elections 2021: City and East candidates make case for your vote