Man arrested for cannabis possession in Barking town centre
- Credit: Archant
A man has been arrested for cannabis possession after a stop and search in Barking Town Centre.
Officers also issued two men with a penalty notice for disorder (PND) and a warning during the operation.
Tuesday evening’s patrol, a joint operation between Scotland Yard and Barking and Dagenham Council’s CCTV control room, saw six people stopped and searched.
“Drugs, regardless of what kind, are not a victimless crime,” said Jonathon Toy, the council’s operations director for enforcement services.
“We are sending a clear message to those individuals who think they are above the law that they aren’t wanted in our borough.”
The council launched a Public Space Protection Order at the site last month, to ban anti-social behaviour such as street drinking, urinating and, controversially, begging.
Cannabis, a Class B drug, is illegal to possess, supply or produce.
- 1 70 firefighters tackle Dagenham house fire
- 2 Council leader on the borough's future, CPZs and receiving death threats
- 3 Dagenham cat with misshapen eye struggles to find home
- 4 Baby boy died from 'whiplash' injuries caused by shaking, trial hears
- 5 Dagenham woman to face trial on numerous robbery charges
- 6 Travel Bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
- 7 Boy, 5, dies after 'unexplained' incident off Heathway
- 8 McMahon proud of excellent Dagenham & Redbridge win over Wrexham
- 9 Teenager charged with GBH after stabbing in Dagenham
- 10 Man pleads not guilty to unlicensed street trading in Dagenham
Anyone caught with the drug risks a warning, fine or arrest depending on the circumstances.