Man arrested for cannabis possession in Barking town centre
- Credit: Archant
A man has been arrested for cannabis possession after a stop and search in Barking Town Centre.
Officers also issued two men with a penalty notice for disorder (PND) and a warning during the operation.
Tuesday evening’s patrol, a joint operation between Scotland Yard and Barking and Dagenham Council’s CCTV control room, saw six people stopped and searched.
“Drugs, regardless of what kind, are not a victimless crime,” said Jonathon Toy, the council’s operations director for enforcement services.
“We are sending a clear message to those individuals who think they are above the law that they aren’t wanted in our borough.”
You may also want to watch:
The council launched a Public Space Protection Order at the site last month, to ban anti-social behaviour such as street drinking, urinating and, controversially, begging.
Cannabis, a Class B drug, is illegal to possess, supply or produce.
- 1 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 2 Residents and traders react to proposed A13 tunnel in Dagenham
- 3 Barking woman praises job programme that has helped more than 3,000 people
- 4 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 5 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
- 6 Stephen Port inquests: Senior cop wishes he 'pushed further' for murder investigation
- 7 'Cheating surge': Dating site reveals how many people are having affairs in your area
- 8 Murder of 'local hero' policeman in Dagenham to be marked after 175 years
- 9 Men reportedly 'impersonated officers' to get access to Barking home
- 10 What's on across East London this weekend?
Anyone caught with the drug risks a warning, fine or arrest depending on the circumstances.