Man arrested for cannabis possession in Barking town centre
- Credit: Archant
A man has been arrested for cannabis possession after a stop and search in Barking Town Centre.
Officers also issued two men with a penalty notice for disorder (PND) and a warning during the operation.
Tuesday evening’s patrol, a joint operation between Scotland Yard and Barking and Dagenham Council’s CCTV control room, saw six people stopped and searched.
“Drugs, regardless of what kind, are not a victimless crime,” said Jonathon Toy, the council’s operations director for enforcement services.
“We are sending a clear message to those individuals who think they are above the law that they aren’t wanted in our borough.”
You may also want to watch:
The council launched a Public Space Protection Order at the site last month, to ban anti-social behaviour such as street drinking, urinating and, controversially, begging.
Cannabis, a Class B drug, is illegal to possess, supply or produce.
- 1 Work to begin on river bus pier at Barking Riverside
- 2 Teenage pedestrian in hospital after Dagenham crash
- 3 Work begins on £1.8m arts centre transformation in Barking
- 4 Man, 19, stabbed in thigh in Dagenham
- 5 Man praises community spirit after flood water threatens homes in Dagenham
- 6 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 7 Murder investigation in Dagenham after man dies in street
- 8 Man charged with murder after fatal Dagenham assault
- 9 Former child refugee who founded Barking women's service up for award
- 10 Parkrun returns to east London: Where can you join in?
Anyone caught with the drug risks a warning, fine or arrest depending on the circumstances.