Man arrested for cannabis possession in Barking town centre
- Credit: Archant
A man has been arrested for cannabis possession after a stop and search in Barking Town Centre.
Officers also issued two men with a penalty notice for disorder (PND) and a warning during the operation.
Tuesday evening’s patrol, a joint operation between Scotland Yard and Barking and Dagenham Council’s CCTV control room, saw six people stopped and searched.
“Drugs, regardless of what kind, are not a victimless crime,” said Jonathon Toy, the council’s operations director for enforcement services.
“We are sending a clear message to those individuals who think they are above the law that they aren’t wanted in our borough.”
You may also want to watch:
The council launched a Public Space Protection Order at the site last month, to ban anti-social behaviour such as street drinking, urinating and, controversially, begging.
Cannabis, a Class B drug, is illegal to possess, supply or produce.
- 1 RSPCA appeal over video of dog 'carried' by collar in Dagenham
- 2 Barking fishmongers shut down by council after Covid-19 safety warning
- 3 Images released of man in connection with robbery on train from Barking
- 4 'Terrifying' CCTV footage shows vandals take axes to cars of NHS workers
- 5 Council denies Barking mum's claim that it took hours to respond to flood
- 6 Appeal for help to find boy missing from Dagenham
- 7 Fines for Havering landlords who put Dagenham tenants 'in danger'
- 8 Call to change 'cash cow' yellow box junction in Marks Gate
- 9 Jailed: Dagenham man for role in 'brutal' attack on off-duty police officer
- 10 Dagenham charity set up in memory of 'unique' man offers help to youngsters
Anyone caught with the drug risks a warning, fine or arrest depending on the circumstances.