Man cleared of racially abusing Dagenham taxi driver
A DAGENHAM man accused of racially abusing a taxi driver was cleared today following a blunder by the Crown Prosecution Service.
Shaun Jones, 23, was said to have shouted: ‘F****** immigrant’ at Abdul Latif after he told them off for throwing food in the car.
It was claimed he also spat at Mr Latif during the journey through Dagenham, on March 21 this year.
But the case collapsed after prosecutors failed to disclose his arresting officer’s notes.
Judge Wendy Joseph QC criticised prosecuting lawyers, adding: “It really is in every sense the CPS who have let themselves down.”
Jones, of Rockwell Road, accepted a �100 nine-month bind over after accepting he had acted ‘inappropriately’ by behaving rowdily and throwing food during the incident.
He must now avoid trouble for nine months or face paying a �100 penalty.
- 1 Dagenham man fined within hours of fly-tipping at bus stop
- 2 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 3 Girl, 17, held on suspicion of terrorism offences after east London arrest
- 4 Police appeal after intruder reportedly enters Barking home and threatens woman with knife
- 5 Travel bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
- 6 Dagenham and West Ham accused in court after drugs raids
- 7 70 firefighters tackle Dagenham house fire
- 8 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 9 40 firefighters tackle Anchor Close blaze
- 10 Thunderstorms to hit London this evening warns Met Office
Elizabeth Neil, defending, said: “There is an acceptance of a certain amount of rowdy behaviour.”
Judge Joseph then urged Jones to behave himself in future.
“You see all the trouble that results if you do something like that,” she told him.
“It may not be a specific crime but it’s a breach of the peace.”
Jones was due to stand trial today before prosecutors formerly offered no evidence against him.
Prosecutor Paul Evans told the court: “The Crown have always said it was Shaun Jones who shouted: “F****** immigrant” and spat at the victim.”
It also emerged that another defendant had already been convicted at Barking Magistrates’ Court of spitting at Mr Latif.
Mr Latif, of Dagenham-based Wood Lane Cars, did not attend the short hearing.