Man cleared of racially abusing Dagenham taxi driver
A DAGENHAM man accused of racially abusing a taxi driver was cleared today following a blunder by the Crown Prosecution Service.
Shaun Jones, 23, was said to have shouted: ‘F****** immigrant’ at Abdul Latif after he told them off for throwing food in the car.
It was claimed he also spat at Mr Latif during the journey through Dagenham, on March 21 this year.
But the case collapsed after prosecutors failed to disclose his arresting officer’s notes.
Judge Wendy Joseph QC criticised prosecuting lawyers, adding: “It really is in every sense the CPS who have let themselves down.”
You may also want to watch:
Jones, of Rockwell Road, accepted a �100 nine-month bind over after accepting he had acted ‘inappropriately’ by behaving rowdily and throwing food during the incident.
He must now avoid trouble for nine months or face paying a �100 penalty.
- 1 16-year-old boy stabbed in Dagenham
- 2 Dagenham MP Jon Cruddas in 'crisis' warning over local plan
- 3 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 4 Arrest after girl, 14, found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 5 Company fined £3k after supermarket in Dagenham sold booze to minor
- 6 East London police officer charged with rape
- 7 Stephen Port inquests: Dog walker recalls finding victims in churchyard
- 8 Chain of 10,000 teddies to be displayed in memory of toddler Ava
- 9 Primary pupils share Black History Month learning with mayor
- 10 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
Elizabeth Neil, defending, said: “There is an acceptance of a certain amount of rowdy behaviour.”
Judge Joseph then urged Jones to behave himself in future.
“You see all the trouble that results if you do something like that,” she told him.
“It may not be a specific crime but it’s a breach of the peace.”
Jones was due to stand trial today before prosecutors formerly offered no evidence against him.
Prosecutor Paul Evans told the court: “The Crown have always said it was Shaun Jones who shouted: “F****** immigrant” and spat at the victim.”
It also emerged that another defendant had already been convicted at Barking Magistrates’ Court of spitting at Mr Latif.
Mr Latif, of Dagenham-based Wood Lane Cars, did not attend the short hearing.