Man cleared of racially abusing Dagenham taxi driver
A DAGENHAM man accused of racially abusing a taxi driver was cleared today following a blunder by the Crown Prosecution Service.
Shaun Jones, 23, was said to have shouted: ‘F****** immigrant’ at Abdul Latif after he told them off for throwing food in the car.
It was claimed he also spat at Mr Latif during the journey through Dagenham, on March 21 this year.
But the case collapsed after prosecutors failed to disclose his arresting officer’s notes.
Judge Wendy Joseph QC criticised prosecuting lawyers, adding: “It really is in every sense the CPS who have let themselves down.”
You may also want to watch:
Jones, of Rockwell Road, accepted a �100 nine-month bind over after accepting he had acted ‘inappropriately’ by behaving rowdily and throwing food during the incident.
He must now avoid trouble for nine months or face paying a �100 penalty.
- 1 Marvel movie blockbuster Black Widow filmed in Dagenham
- 2 Dagenham man sentenced after flying kick at cop during Black Lives Matter demo
- 3 Man in hospital after being found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 4 Storage building next to disused Dagenham pub destroyed by fire
- 5 Dagenham pastry chef wins patisserie award
- 6 Watchdog upholds 90pc of complaints against council, figures show
- 7 Dagenham author pens novel to mark centenary of Becontree Estate
- 8 Data reveals house price rises in Olympic boroughs since London 2012
- 9 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 10 Barking and Dagenham and Redbridge 'least active' boroughs in London, study finds
Elizabeth Neil, defending, said: “There is an acceptance of a certain amount of rowdy behaviour.”
Judge Joseph then urged Jones to behave himself in future.
“You see all the trouble that results if you do something like that,” she told him.
“It may not be a specific crime but it’s a breach of the peace.”
Jones was due to stand trial today before prosecutors formerly offered no evidence against him.
Prosecutor Paul Evans told the court: “The Crown have always said it was Shaun Jones who shouted: “F****** immigrant” and spat at the victim.”
It also emerged that another defendant had already been convicted at Barking Magistrates’ Court of spitting at Mr Latif.
Mr Latif, of Dagenham-based Wood Lane Cars, did not attend the short hearing.