Man fined £70 for smoking a cannabis joint in Abbey Green park
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
A man has been fined £70 for being caught smoking a cannabis joint in a park in Barking.
Kevin Leon Coryat, 33, of Upton Park Lane in Forest Gate, pleaded guilty to possession of the drug at Barkingside Magistrates Court yesterday.
Officers on patrol saw Coryat smoking cannabis in Abbey Green on June 17, when he handed over the joint, which he said was for his personal use.
Coryat, speaking in his own defence, said: “It was wrong to have any cannabis in my possession. I admitted to the police that I was doing something wrong.”
The Judge ordered him to pay a £70 fine plus £85 court costs, a total of £175, in the next 28 days.
You may also want to watch:
Possession of cannabis, a class B drug, is a crime under the Misuse of Drugs Act 1971.
- 1 GPs roll up their sleeves to support colleagues at Queen's Hospital
- 2 Station Parade traffic curbs get green light
- 3 More than 100 Covid dead at Queen's and King George this week
- 4 New Covid test site opening in Barking this weekend
- 5 Appeal to find witness who comforted woman hit by a car in Barking
- 6 Appeal after shots fired at house in Dagenham
- 7 More than half of people in Barking and Dagenham may have had Covid, data shows
- 8 Town hall to decide on bid for Dagenham freeport
- 9 Council admits there is a 'long way to go' before 'cracking' the virus
- 10 Drug and alcohol abuse by Barking and Dagenham parents and children soars