Jailed: Man who spat at police officers and told them he had coronavirus
- Credit: Met Police
A man who spat at police officers and told them he had coronavirus has been jailed for six months.
Brandon Wallace - who was later confirmed not to have Covid-19 or any symptoms - spat at the officers when they arrested him in Barking on Monday, April 20 on suspicion of domestic assault and criminal damage.
After spitting at the officers as they put him into a police van, the 21-year-old was further arrested for assault on emergency workers.
Wallace, of no fixed address, was charged the same day and appeared at Barkingside Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday, April 21.
He pleaded guilty to assaulting the woman, criminal damage and assault of emergency workers, and was jailed for six months.
You may also want to watch:
Inspector Alexis Manley, of East Area, said: ““It says much about the attitude of this man that, in addition to targeting somebody close to him, he was also willing to make false claims about Covid 19 and to spit at officers.
“I hope he spends his period in prison to reflect on his behaviour, and that his prison sentence sends a message to others who are willing to commit domestic offences and to target police officers whose job it is to protect Londoners.”
- 1 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
- 2 Ex-Strictly Come Dancing star gets pupils shimmying in Barking
- 3 Three shops 'fail test purchases' after joining safe knife selling scheme
- 4 Youngsters create film inspired by Dagenham's links to slave trade abolitionists
- 5 Residents and traders react to proposed A13 tunnel in Dagenham
- 6 'Stunning mural celebrating Barking history is complete
- 7 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 8 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 9 Paralympic gold medallist inspires Dagenham judo pupils
- 10 Barking woman praises job programme that has helped more than 3,000 people