Masked gunman who terrorised Dagenham shopkeeper ‘had raided nearby shop 48 hours earlier’
- Credit: Archant
An armed robber who raided a shop last night appears to have struck another store just 48 hours earlier.
Vida & Sons, in Porters Avenue, Dagenham, was robbed on Monday afternoon by a man with a handgun who threatened to shoot customers while he waited for the tills to be emptied.
In CCTV footage of the incident, the man appears to be wearing the same clothes – and wielding the same pistol – as a robber who targeted Hunters Convenience Store in Wood Lane, Dagenham, yesterday night.
On that occasion the man took about £200, and on Monday £230 was taken.
“Anyone with a gun will scare people,” a man whose family has owned Vida & Sons for about six years – but requested not to be named – said.
You may also want to watch:
“A customer came in just after he got the gun out and said, ‘Call the police’ – but the robber pointed the gun at him and said, ‘If you phone the police, I will shoot you’.”
The man, who is Lithuanian, said he is convinced the robber is from the same country as “he was definitely speaking Lithuanian”.
- 1 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA seat and Thames by-election
- 2 Man stabbed in front of son, 12, in 'unprovoked, violent' attack in Barking
- 3 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 4 Appeal to help find missing girl who may be in Dagenham, Ilford or Stratford
- 5 'Woke rubbish': Losing candidate on stir over 'unspellable' names comment
- 6 Chadwell Heath woman fined after not reporting Iron Age coin find
- 7 Jailed: Man whose drunken knife attack left one dead and woman injured at Dagenham dinner party
- 8 Meet the candidates battling for votes in the Thames ward by-election
- 9 Barking shisha bar was wrongly shut down for Covid breaches, owner claims
- 10 Guilty: 'Depraved' rapist who targeted and robbed lone women at night
“He needs to be caught,” he said. “He is targeting everyone.”
But he said there is no chance of the incident affecting his business.
“We would never close because of something like this,” he added.