Masked gunman who terrorised Dagenham shopkeeper ‘had raided nearby shop 48 hours earlier’
- Credit: Archant
An armed robber who raided a shop last night appears to have struck another store just 48 hours earlier.
Vida & Sons, in Porters Avenue, Dagenham, was robbed on Monday afternoon by a man with a handgun who threatened to shoot customers while he waited for the tills to be emptied.
In CCTV footage of the incident, the man appears to be wearing the same clothes – and wielding the same pistol – as a robber who targeted Hunters Convenience Store in Wood Lane, Dagenham, yesterday night.
On that occasion the man took about £200, and on Monday £230 was taken.
“Anyone with a gun will scare people,” a man whose family has owned Vida & Sons for about six years – but requested not to be named – said.
You may also want to watch:
“A customer came in just after he got the gun out and said, ‘Call the police’ – but the robber pointed the gun at him and said, ‘If you phone the police, I will shoot you’.”
The man, who is Lithuanian, said he is convinced the robber is from the same country as “he was definitely speaking Lithuanian”.
- 1 Arrest after girl, 14, found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 2 Company fined £3k after supermarket in Dagenham sold booze to minor
- 3 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 4 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
- 5 Government 'never gave support' for Beam Park station, minister says
- 6 Three shops 'fail test purchases' after joining safe knife selling scheme
- 7 Stephen Port inquests: Police chief denies 'systemic' errors
- 8 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 9 Murder of 'local hero' policeman in Dagenham to be marked after 175 years
- 10 'Stunning mural celebrating Barking history is complete
“He needs to be caught,” he said. “He is targeting everyone.”
But he said there is no chance of the incident affecting his business.
“We would never close because of something like this,” he added.